General Category > General Discussion

Advice needed please :)

(1/5) > >>

Katchin:
Hi, I have been thinking of starting woodturning for a few years now, but have never got to it. I'm on a limited budget, so would prefer to go at this full steam if I go for it, that means I wouldn't want to buy very basic equipment only to have to upgrade when I got better / braver.
My experience is zero basically, apart from being a dab hand with a chainsaw! (ex forestry).

So with these things in mind, any ideas on what sort of cash i'd have to spend? As far as tools I already have, not much, just the standard tools you would expect to find in a house, and a chainsaw! My mother should be able to provide me with lots of wood to make blanks from (beech, pines).

I would also hope to eventually recoup some of the cash from a few sales if I get good enough (don't expect to earn a living, just would be nice to have a hobby that doesn't eat through all my spare cash), is this a viable thought? or an unlikely one.

Thanks in advance.

Andy Coates:
Hello Katchin,

welcome to the forum.

Firstly, woodturning can be a self supporting hobby if you get to the point where people are willing to pay for your output. So far so good.

As for what you might expect to spend! The biggest outlay will be for a lathe and tools. It's often said that the third lathe you buy is the one you keep. This is because people tend to buy cheap lathes in case they don't like turning, and when they do find they like it they upgrade. So the question of which to buy is a difficult one.

You could find something like an Axminster M330 on eBay and expect to pay around £100-150 for one. Good lathe but limited in size if you want to turn, for instance, bowls over 8" diameter. But more than suitable for your learning curve and you can always sell it on later. Then you'll need a chuck. A K10 will be about another £100 second hand. A set of basic tools, spindle roughing gouge, spindle gouge, parting tool, skew chisel and small bowl gouge, maybe anything from £60 - 120 for a basic starter kit in HSS.

A suitable bench grinder to keep them sharp, £40 for a Record 8" model.

A book to show you a few things £15...Keith Rowley's is a good start.

Safety equipment...visor or safety glasses, a good quality dust mask to start with perhaps £30 for the lot.

But most important is learning how to use the lathe and tools safely so maybe some tuition...£90 to £200 a day depending who you go to. Or you could join a club and you are bound to find somebody there who will show you the ropes.

So not cheap but you can always sell it all if you decide it's not for you.

And if you can produce blanks and sell them there is a good market for wood blanks so you may find you can pay for it all by selling them.

Good luck, and i hope you get bitten by the bug.

Andy

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hi Katchin,
               I agree with everything Andy has said but I would advise joining a club before you buy any kit as most club members know someone with a bit of kit to sell. The fact that you have a chainsaw and  know how to use it safely
you will automatically make friends quickly! ;D
Hope this helps
Regards
BHT

Dave Atkinson:
Hi Katchin

Great advice from Andy and BHT.  If you let us know where you are there may well be people on the forum who be'd prepared to meet up and get you started.

On the AWGB website we have a page with all the Affiliated Branches and Associated Clubs, plus a list of people who provide tuition.

Enjoy the new hobby.

Cheers Dave

Philip Greenwood:
Hi Katchin

Good to see a would be turner. I would say join a club or get help from a member who has a good fedback for learning others, better to start with the right way then learn bad habits.

If you look at woodturners supplies shop don't buy there and then, go home and think. i know there are some very good woodturners tools shops around who will sell what you need, but other who will try to sell you more then you need, don't get me wrong there want to make a living.

I would Say this is a start
Lathe.
6 Tools.
Chuck.
Grinder.
Tool sharpening jig, this will save you money in the long run.
Safety specs.
Dust mask.
And wood.
A course would save you time and money, i would take a course first to try before you buy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version