Author Topic: The three halves of my life  (Read 3567 times)

Jo Winter2

The three halves of my life
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »
Hi all,
I entitle this object "The three halves of my live" and the fun I had and have. The small sphare represents the learn process,
the second one the working process. The third one and my greatest fun is my time now with woodturning. The "third half" means
it is a gift for me to experience this time intensely. Sorry for so many words about that.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: The three halves of my life
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »

Hi Jo, I like how you have worked with the grain on the main body and the meaning you've given each piece and how the 3 spheres are held by a fine thread.

Wonderful thoughts and piece as usual from you.  Thank you.

Cheers         David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Jo Winter2

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 08:09:56 AM »
Hi David,
thanks for your agreement.
But it seems not to be a sculpture for other turners ? Is it to strange ?
Or what can be the reason ?
Is it the title ? I forgot the tell you: The sphares are from elder, in Germany a
very mystical wood about life.
Regards Jo

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:18:17 AM »
Jo,

I can see the idea of the three spheres being encompassed within the (your) body) of the turning.

I would have guessed at Holly for the timber not Elder, it's not a wood I'd ever think to turn as it's so very soft. But looking at how white it is, maybe we'd best give it a go sometimes.

As always your work is very thought provoking - thank you and a have a great Christmas.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:01:21 PM »
Hi David,
thanks for your agreement.
But it seems not to be a sculpture for other turners ? Is it to strange ?
Or what can be the reason ?
Is it the title ? I forgot the tell you: The sphares are from elder, in Germany a
very mystical wood about life.
Regards Jo

Strange ?? that's English Turners 92 having read this thread, just the 2 to comment, could be a sign few wish too or have little nor any idea as to what to look for or how to judge a piece. 

Maybe there needs to be guide lines into how to comment on a piece..  minefield ...   :o .. shape, form, finish, type of timber, how or how many times it has been chucked/re-chucked or just how did you chuck the piece in your case.. so skills and levels involved with any piece.

Open to others.        Cheers       David

Frohe Weihnachten und gesegnetes neues Jahr für 2013

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Jo Winter2

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
Hi,
DR4:
Yes, I want to provoke a little bit, animate to look over the borders of bowls, platters, dishes etc., to have fun with new ideas for shapes and combinations of shapes. But not only to make a shape, also to make shapes with a sense.
In German we say "Holunder" , in the dictionary "elder". "Holly" is translated with "Stechpalme". You are right holly is more soft, elder more hard .
David:
thanks for your comment. The wood is robinia tretad with ammoniac and then oiled with Danish Oil. I use everytime Danish Oil.
The sphares are from elder (I think), fixed by a fishing line. To times chucked, top and bottom.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 11:13:57 PM »
Robinia, I thought it was stained Ash.

I've some Robinia outside, might just have to do a midnight raid under the sink for some ammonia.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »
Hello Jo,
            as ever your work is thought provoking. Nicely turned and finished and an interesting concept.
Many thanks for sharing it with us.
Regards
John BHT