Author Topic: Hinged Finial Box  (Read 2667 times)

Offline iantivenan

• copper
Hinged Finial Box
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:31:51 AM »
Hi All,
I've had my lathe for 14 months now and I'm learning every day. This is my latest piece - a hinged finial box in Mora Amarilla with an African blackwood finial. The dimensions are 5 1/2" high x 3" wide. Sanded down with clear paste wax as a lubricant and buffed.

C & C welcome,

Many thanks

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Hinged Finial Box
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:42:38 AM »
Hello iantivenan
                     I have looked at this piece a couple of times now and although I think the turning and finish are very good I am afraid the finial on a hinged box does not work for me. The "ginger jar" shape is quite nice and the finial is too but not together. Sorry.
Regards
John BHT

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »
Hi john
Thanks for the positive feedback, when I finished the box I was,nt sure about the hinged finial, so I asked the wife, she also said no it does,nt work, so no more hinged finial boxes ;)
thanks again
IAN.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »
Ian,

Hopefully this will come over as constructive not rude (I can sometimes be taken that way!)

Finials are a skill and almost an art-form in themselves to get them to look right and balance with the object they sit atop. Yours lacks delicacy of form and and crispness of turning. You've probably over sanded the coves and beads. They also have a places where they work and places where they don't, this is definitely the latter I'm afraid.

The Box, where the hinge ring fits shows the shoulder (It should match the ring diameter) which is upsetting the overall form.

On the plus side;

The finish is excellent on both the box and finial, there are no sanding marks and the shine is very good in itself. The shape of the lower potion of the box flows well and forms a good curve.

Without the finial the lid would sit on a little high (to my eye), something slightly lower would maybe look better but that's what you've got. If the Finial can be removed, maybe a small knob in Blackwood (or other contrasting timber) could be fitted, more in keeping with the form.

You say you've been turning 18 months, you've done well, a tidy little lidded hollow-form from which I'm sure you've learnt a lesson or two. Learning is something we all aspire to do, keep up the good work.

And I hope Santa leaves something good for you under the tree.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 07:32:14 AM »
dr4gonfly
Thanks for the constructive comments, im still on a learning curve at the minute and looking at my piece I intend to go back to the lathe and make another one, bearing in mind some of the changes you suggest.
THANKS IAN.