Author Topic: Oak piece  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Oak piece
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:22:37 PM »
Hi All
First post for a while. This is a piece of Oak, 4"x4"x7 1/2" tall. It was a bit out of my comfort zone, and nerve racking, but I felt that I needed to do something different for our annual club competition. Needless to say it did not win. Both the through holes were turned and the outside textured with a dremel and painted with black acrylic paint. All the Oak bits were Danish Oiled. Feel free to comment, either way. I'm not sure of it so that's a start.
Roger G

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Oak piece
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:18:16 PM »
Nobody moves forward staying inside their comfort zone, so well done on making that step.

I'd like to say (looking at this piece) you need to keep walking in that direction, I'd like to see where it leads you. Certainly away from the Round & Brown to the artistic.

We all feel put-out when we think our piece is the best in a club competition and don't win (I certainly do) but it's not always the winning, it's the experience and more importantly being part of that competition, too few member actually participate.

I'd also be interested in knowing how you held the timber in the various positions to turn the through holes.

Thanks for sharing.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »
That's the way to go don't stand still experiment I to would like to know how you held it Blooming well done mate I think it is an amazing piece of art keep em coming

Jo Winter2

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »
Hi Roger,
I like this piece. But we must have a little bit patience, the most of woodturners think in other shapes.
That's should not be difficult for you. If you like this shapes, turn it. It's your fun to turn.
Jo

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 01:36:26 PM »
Hello Roger

I like this piece.  I'd also be interested to hear how you held it - it looks like it might have been nerve racking!. 

Cheers Dave

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »
Hello Roger,
                as I'm sure you are aware I am part of the round and brown brigade, not by choice I hasten to add.I do however really.really like this piece.Like the others I too will be interested to hear how you held it. I like the shapes that have evolved through the turning of it and the texturing with border looks good. I would like to see what you have done on the top and bottom.
       Keep up the good work.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
I like this piece as well. Unusual and innovative to sound posh LOL. I don't get to do as much decorative work as I'#d like but this is the sort of thing that makes me think and want to do more.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
Hi All
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. The picture below shows the jig I made up. Not a new idea, inspired by young Terry Scott who used a similar set up in many of his multi centre pieces. The 1" MDF backplate is screwed to a 13" faceplate. Glued and screwed to this are two V blocks made out of Douglas Fir. Two mild steel straps are then fixed to these to hold the block of Oak in place. In hindsite, I would have placed these V blocks a bit further apart as they restricted the actual turning area. It was counterbalanced with a chunk of steel and turned at about 500 rpm. The photo shows the first hole already turned and the block turned through 90 degrees and moved up the jig a bit. I marked the top of the block on the faceplate, so the when I turned it round, the hole would be in line with the other side. BHT, the top and bottom have been sanded by hand to 600 grit and oiled. I am hoping that the pic is big enough as the origional pic I took was at high resolution, and I had to resize with my camera, as the piece was finished. Hope this is a good enough description. Have a go. I am going to take this idea further, so watch out for more. Thanks
Roger G

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
Thanks for posting the jig picture, it explains lots. Boy I bet balancing that was fun (not!)
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »
I have got to have a go at that thanks for sharing

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »

Roger, this is nicely done and if Terry's work is anything to go by ...  you'll have to go bigger too with the next.

Thank you for sharing your work and the jig, well done.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »
I wondered how you held the piece on the lathe Roger,should have done better in the club comp though,as its so different to the norm,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world