General Category > General Discussion

Fox F28-186 Bandsaw Help Please

(1/7) > >>

Katchin:
This is a duplicate post that I made on 'a certain other forum'  :o

I have been setting up my new bandsaw and it appears to be off-centre, i'm sure that i'm doing something wrong, but the instructions that came with it are terrible. After putting it all together, I noticed that the blade rubs against the centre plastic round on one side, and I cannot see how to centre it properly. I can move the guides, but not far enough to make a difference it seems, its as though the whole blade is 50mm offline, or the table is in the wrong place.
After setting up the saw I swapped the blade for one from tuffsaws, and had to change the angle of the top wheel slightly by using the adjuster at the back, which was fine, so the blade is centred on the wheel at the top ok. The upper guide assembly seems to be able to move somewhat, which makes the upper guides virtually useless as the whole assembly moves. The lower guide assembly seems to be too far over.

I did notice at the back of the lower wheel that there are four bolts, am I to move the whole lower wheel over a bit maybe?

here are a couple of photo's:-

Andy Coates:
The picture is out of focus, so it's hard to tell what's happening there, but it does look to be a way out...but 50mm?!!! That's almost on another bandsaw!

I would think the two bearing guides on the upper section are to blame...I can't believe that they'd fit them in the wrong place (but anything's possible)...

I can't see too clearly on any pic to be honest, so this is mostly assumption...

I take it the upper guides are bearings on a steel rod, and these are held with a set screw (allen key type doodad)?

If so, slacken them off, and then reset them so that they hold the blade in the correct position and tighten down but not so tight the blade binds.

Sorry this is a quick answer...I have to and get ready for a demo this evening...

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hi Katchin,
              looking at the pictures do you mean 5mm offline and not 50mm?
Just open the top door of the B/S and make sure that the top pulley is in the right place. Some makes (not sure about yours)allow the pulley to move slightly left and right before the tension is applied. This might be your problem, if not I would advise having a word with someone with a little bit of experience who can see your machine.Don't take any chances,in a fight between you and the machine the machine will always win!
John

Katchin:
yes sorry, i did mean 5mm, i'll check these ideas in the morning. The upper guide is on a bracket thing, that moves up and down, but its very loose.

Katchin:
ok, i've had a good look. The top pulley is fixed, so that isn't the culprit.
The new picture i have posted here says it all really, it must be the guide assembly. Surely that is very wrong?

I have somewhat realligned it, the blade is no longer touching the plastic insert in the bench, but the upper guide still looks very wrong, and moves a  lot. Also there is no real power to the blade, if I add tension to it at all, then it wont spin, the drive wheel just spins. The rubber band from the drive wheel, to the main lower wheel is rather loose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version