General Category > General Discussion

What do you like to see demonstrated

(1/3) > >>

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hi all,
      On taking bookings from various clubs to demonstrate I always ask what would they like to see demonstrated. I do have a few "standard" type demos that I do but do like to pitch the demo to what the audience wants. Just out of interest, what do you/what would you like to see demonstrated?
regards
John BHT

john taylor:
Competence and good practise both in the actual turning and in safety.

John

woody:
Just a good honest demo no matter what the demo is with no showing of and no lectures on things that the person doing the demo so obviously knows nothing about

Philip Green:
From a professional, I would hope for an entertaining and instructive demo using safe techniques. Whilst it is nice to see something I have not seen before, often it is good to see how others do aspects of turning that I am familiar with. I, like most of us, have a favourite technique for say hollowing out a bowl, but I am open to different ideas and that is one way that I progress.

Club demos are different because they are shorter and need to cater for novice as well as experienced members. At one of my clubs, we get asked each year what we would like to see but usually, only one or two respond. Our training officer produces a programme with mixed basic and more advanced topics with one or two unusual ones thrown in.

It is almost the second anniversary of my attending my first club demo and next month, I am giving my first club demo on a subject that I learned at a John Lancaster demo last year and have since been successful with. I have no plans to do loads of demos, certainly not at a professional level, but it seems only fair to give a break to the very small number of club members who get lumbered with doing nearly all the club demos. I belong to two clubs and both have the same problem.

Doug Barratt:
I don`t think its a matter of what is turned, I would like to be better informed of differing ways to achieve the same result.

EG.
If it`s a box, how it could be turned without a chuck.
If it`s a carved piece, what could I use instead of a power carver.
I`m not saying the differing techniques need to be demonstrated fully but a few pre-made props would be good to explain alternative methods.

Quite often a piece is turned with little thought of what tools & equipment the bloke in the audience has got.
I`m not saying new techniques & tools shouldn`t be shown, of course they should we all like to see the latest gear, but I`ve seen  grinders, power carvers & air brushes all used in the same demo & these are beyond the reach of a lot of hobbyists.

The best demo`s are the ones that teach & inspire me to better use the equipment I have, the worse are ones that show me how to make a piece with equipment I will never afford & there is no alternative to achieve the same result.

Cheers.    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version