General Category > General Discussion

Saving a bowl?

(1/5) > >>

arcos:
What started out as an experimental winged bowl (my first) has turned into a very large pile of shavings and a rather small bowl.

However, its currently sitting on my lathe and looking rather nice... Spalted olive wood and very attractive grain.

Just been taking out the inside and find that the spalt has split the bowl  >:( so now I have one section of the bowl split but not detached!

Other than sanding and finishing the bowl is pretty much complete!

Is there any way of repairing the crack that has appeared? I guess it opens about 2mm and is easily closed!

Any suggestions appreciated!

woodndesign:

Most would say the life saver "super glue" as it's quick setting and you can readily continue with the work, then any wood glue you have will work.

Hope that helps and we see the resulting bowl, sounds like a nice piece.

David

Bryan Milham:
Arcos,

first question is - does the crack detract from the bowl? If no would it hurt to leave it.

Filling a crack, there are several methods, all involve filling it with something. Epoxy Glue (Araldite) is probably the one you have available in your workshop.

You can mix it with the sanding dust to make it blend in,

or, if as you say, the crack can be fairly well closed, mix it with something black, (acrylic paint, or powder poster paint, pretty much anything, I've even used laser printer toner before now). then when it sets, it will look like just another spalting line.

It will over fill and will need refinishing though.

arcos:
It certainly detracts from the bowl as it is now. It is about a quarter of the bowl that is 'flapping'.

I will try some glue (if i can find some) and see what happens.

This has turned into a real marathon of a turning due to the failed winged bowl and I would have to use it for fire wood at this late stage!

Will let you know how it goes

Thanks for your advice!

arcos:
hmm ok, off out now to try and buy some glue in my local 'village'...

A quick question about finishing...

I have been told that olive oil on olive wood, maybe 2 or 3 coats, gives a really nice, natural finish...

Good idea?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version