General Category > General Discussion

Saving a bowl?

<< < (3/5) > >>

arcos:
It is done!

The crack is fixed and yes it is noticeable... Worse on the outside where the spalting ends and the 'clean' wood is.

Have used just one coat of olive oil on it so far. See how it dries and likely another coat or two as the wood is pretty dry and likely soak up the oil very quickly.

Ah, I just found how to attach a file so will see if I can get a photo or two and post here for comments.

Give me a few minutes and I will try and get some pics here

arcos:

--- Quote from: dr4g0nfly on January 09, 2013, 05:53:49 PM ---Just peaked at your email address. Now I know why you say finishing oils are hard to come-by and 'my local village'.

Would be interesting to see more of your working conditions and other 'facilities'.

--- End quote ---

Mr dr4g0nfly

Email addresses can be deceptive!

However, I am in part of the world that is incredibly difficult to obtain even basic wood turning items. I have yet to find anywhere to buy chisels, decent finishing oils, yes even glue often requires some research and a drive to the nearest town rather than just nipping into the local village (although today I was lucky to find that they had a cuper glue type product that seems to have worked!).

The plus side is that I have an abundance of olive, oak, mimosa, cork oak, pine, chestnut and a great many fruit trees all growing on my land that I can 'harvest' as and when required. I have just taken a large section of plum that I have drying at the moment and hope will be turnable in a few months, a few dead, standing oak trees that I think will turn beautifully now, I have a large quantity of Arbutus Unedo that I would really love to see how that turns...

So, it's not all bad!

Woodcrafts:

--- Quote from: dr4g0nfly on January 09, 2013, 03:53:14 PM ---I've never tried Olive Oil on anything (anybody else out there done so?).

But I do use Danish Oil or Finishing oil a lot, they look good.

--- End quote ---
I read an article in an old "Fine Woodworking" magazine ( a while ago so can't recall exactly which issue) which dealt with a whole range of oils. The one oil they said should NEVER be used, is olive oil, as it will not dry, and will actually turn rancid, smelling like rotten fat. To date, and for this reason, I have never tried it. I have used sunflower and walnut oils on salad bowls, especially those sold to customers, as they can easily re-oil them with oil bought from the local supermarket. I often use traditional boiled linseed oil and beeswax but also regularly use commercial oil finishes. You can probably guess I do like oild finishes!
If I can find the original magazine article, I will try and post it, most likely as a scanned image.
Hope that helps,

arcos:

--- Quote from: Woodcrafts on January 09, 2013, 11:09:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: dr4g0nfly on January 09, 2013, 03:53:14 PM ---I've never tried Olive Oil on anything (anybody else out there done so?).

But I do use Danish Oil or Finishing oil a lot, they look good.

--- End quote ---
I read an article in an old "Fine Woodworking" magazine ( a while ago so can't recall exactly which issue) which dealt with a whole range of oils. The one oil they said should NEVER be used, is olive oil, as it will not dry, and will actually turn rancid, smelling like rotten fat. To date, and for this reason, I have never tried it. I have used sunflower and walnut oils on salad bowls, especially those sold to customers, as they can easily re-oil them with oil bought from the local supermarket. I often use traditional boiled linseed oil and beeswax but also regularly use commercial oil finishes. You can probably guess I do like oild finishes!
If I can find the original magazine article, I will try and post it, most likely as a scanned image.
Hope that helps,

--- End quote ---

Hi Thanks for the information...

I have to say that I am amazed at how 'dry' the olive oil finish is! I really did expect a little 'residue' on the bowl but it has dried to a really fantastic satin-ish like finish that feels wonderful in the hand.

I will definitely have a bash with sunflower oil... Boiled linseed oil? Now, a couple of years ago a friend sealed their new wooden floor with boiled linseed oil and, even today, it 'feels' undried. Aside from the slight, almost tackiness I fear for the fire hazard that he has created!

It's always good to try new finishes though but I will definitely use olive oil again

Bryan Milham:
Arcos,

I've just re-read a couple of the posts in this thread and realised that you'd said;

'I have just taken a large section of plum that I have drying at the moment and hope will be turnable in a few months'

I find fruitwoods (apple, Pear Plum) grow with a twist, for some reason cherry doesn't. This means that as they dry they can sometimes crack around the length in a slow spiral. Now I don't know about the Plum you have maybe growing in a warmer clime precludes this but it may be worthwhile keeping an eye on it or more likely part turning while green it and allowing it to dry like that before finishing.

Just a thought, I'd hate for you to loose all your plum due to not knowing this could happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version