General Category > General Discussion

Finished Olive Wood Bowl...

<< < (3/3)

arcos:
dr4g0nfly I think you are right about winged anything being a little bit too advanced for me at the moment... Was fun trying though... Slightly frustrating and a LOT of shavings at the end (more shavings than bowl I think!) Spalted Olive a desirable wood to turn? I think I am going to have quite a bit of it through the course of this year! I will save you some!  ;)

I have cut two pieces today for turning tomorrow and noticed an 'issue'...

Looking down the cut end of the tree (would it be called end grain?) there is an inch long 'split'. I cut a piece off for turning tomorrow maybe 6 - 7 inches long as a round and looked at the other end and there is this little crack look at the log that is remaining and there is the 'split' it seems to be running through the whole tree. I am wondering if it is the same crack that gave me a few issues last time.

I guess I will just have to mount it and take things easy and see what happens. I am hoping to turn it into a bigger version of the bowl you have seen already... I have ALL DAY tomorrow to turn this so fingers crossed!

I m taking the bowl to the cafe this evening. Hope they like it. I have decided on a price of about £12 and see what happens.

And thanks for the tip on photographing the finished pieces. Hopefully I can put that into practice tomorrow!

GRET FORUM!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version