General Category > General Discussion

Finished Olive Wood Bowl...

<< < (2/3) > >>

arcos:
A question/opinion perhaps...

There are some imperfections in the wood that look like gouge marks, 'holes' or similar. They are actually the wood structure. If I continued turning the wood then they would only get bigger or perhaps if I turned through them disappear but then reveal other 'imperfections'.

Should these be something to be worried about in the finished item? Should I try and hide/disguise/fill them in some way?

Perhaps its ones own opinion of what a finished piece should look like?

woodndesign:

Well reading through it all having followed the different threads with this piece, you've got a perfect form and for 1st coat, finish with it, the little imperfections add to the piece, you may or may not have removed them should you have turned it more, but as it had the crack, I'd say and this is my view, it is just fine left as you have done. For the small amount you've been turning your doing very well.

Cheers    David

arcos:

--- Quote from: woodndesign on January 09, 2013, 09:08:59 PM ---
Well reading through it all having followed the different threads with this piece, you've got a perfect form and for 1st coat, finish with it, the little imperfections add to the piece, you may or may not have removed them should you have turned it more, but as it had the crack, I'd say and this is my view, it is just fine left as you have done. For the small amount you've been turning your doing very well.

Cheers    David

--- End quote ---

Hi David and thank you for your comments.

I find it hard to 'balance' the imperfections (if mother nature can have imperfections?) with 'perfection' in my eyes.

Including turning practice cut offs of pine (normally ending up in the fire) and a few other bits and pieces this is probably only about the 15th piece I have EVER turned, if that.

I keep looking at it and really not believing that I actually did turn this! Picking it up, feeling it... I am even delighted with the foot which I turned concave so that it would stand flat and true!

Yes, I am pretty pleased with myself!

Bryan Milham:
Spalted Olive Wood - hands up everyone that's jealous, who would not want to turn some of that.

Shame the wings did not work but maybe that was a bit advanced for your 15th turning - still it's practice and experience that has been gained, and a great recovery as well. It still looks like a great bowl.

malcy:
Hi arcos. You asked about photographing your wares. It is probably best to invest in a light cube studio for this. You can get one on ebay fpr less tham £20. Use a white background and the camera on a tripod. Use a light source such as a portable works light (available through Screwfix or Toolstation  quite cheaply) placed outside the cube and angled upwards. The light onto the part should be bright but diffused. Position the camera looking slightly down onto the item so that there are no reflections from the part. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version