General Category > General Discussion

My turning days are over

(1/7) > >>

woody:
Well the end of my turning is here I have just been to the doc and been told that I have left ventrical failure that showed up on a heart scan and I have been told I should give up woodturning and stop doing anything Manuel and not to go out in the cold so that is it for me but to be honest I'm not surprised I have had my suspicions now for a while that is why I started model making I find turning very tiring and painful which turns out to be heart failure well it was good whilst it lasted and I cant complain just readjust and hopefully live a bit longer LOL still it gets me out of the gardening LOL sink a few sherbets that will make it seem better .

So I'm going to sell up and get another small lathe just for pens and see how I can cope with that as I have about 200 kits to get through

woody:

--- Quote from: George Foweraker on January 16, 2013, 04:47:53 PM ---You could always do less.

Regards George

--- End quote ---
Thats what I said but was told NO but if you do be it on your own head the left  ventrical is muscle in the heart that pumps the blood around and mine is worn out 

BOB A JOB:
Woody,
Don't give up ! Just do a little at a time, there are no rules to say that you have to stand at the lathe for hours at a time.
I have a 'heart condition', couple of operations and a pacemaker, I just adjust my time, if I feel like doing a bit (of turning !) I do, if I don't then well, I leave it till the next time. Best of it is you can just walk away from the shavings etc and clear them up next time, unless of course your lathe is in the lounge !
Also you can always pass on all you accumulated skills to others who are just starting out.
It's time for you to look at things,we're fortunate we had warnings about our health and can make adjustments. Lot's haven't been given that opportunity.
Take care and keep on turning !
Best wishes,
Bob.  ;)

Bryan Milham:
Woody,

I can't and won't say that you should continue even in a limited way, that's your & the Doctors call.

I'll say that we'll miss posting of your turnings, you are probably the most prolific person amongst us for photographing and showing their work.

Is it all woodwork or just turning, I ask as you post clocks and other non-turned items as well. You say you'll continue with pens, is that acrylic bodies you'll be using?

I support Bob a Job in his statement that you can pass on your knowledge and skills. This can be achieved by answering questions posed in the forum and maybe photographing and posting some of your jigs or set-up posed pictures of some of your methods. We can all learn from one such as you.

However you choose to go on, please take care of yourself and always remember the community of friends you have joined and become an active part of in this forum.

Regards,

Bryan

John D Smith:
Hello Woody, I am sorry to hear of your health problems,I will miss seeing your turned pieces I agree with Bryan you have been very prolific in posting your turnings I think I asked you once if you ever went to bed also stay on the Forum and pass on your experience to others. All of the Very best for the Future. Regards John.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version