General Category > General Discussion

The one that got away!

(1/2) > >>

arcos:
Or perhaps...

Such a shame that the olive tree I had only managed ONE bowl! About 2m in length average diameter of about 5" and split right through.

This weekend I tried my last try with the wood and it became evident that the core had 3 very clear cracks. I persevered but today it went 'pop'!

I now have 3 pieces of olive wood. 2 small, almost identical pieces and 1 a little larger... I had managed to round the bowl and it was coming along BUT...

Anyway, a question...

What do you do with small pieces that you have laying around? Anything? Nothing? Firewood? Or do you make something interesting?

malcy:
Why not try segmented turnings? Go to www.segmentedwoodturners.org for moe information or just ask and I'll be happy to answer any questions. Malcolm.

Bryan Milham:
It depends upon the size,

larger would be Apples, Pears or Plums, Then there are medium sized bits for Light pulls, Wine Bottle stoppers, Christmas Ornaments (Snowmen, trees or icicles) or really small bits become stems to go in the Apples and other fruits.

If nothing else, it's something to practice bead and coves and skew work on.

bodrighywood:
You seem to be fixated on bowls. Apart from the suggestions already given there are loads of things that can be made from almost any size wood. Most of my turning is spindle work which means that I use wood down to a few mm thick at times. Look at the wood and try and think what could be made from it. At worst put on one side and use for making finials for vases, bowl and box lids etc.

Pete

ru55ell1:
Olive makes great pens

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version