General Category > General Discussion

Tea Lights and Wood?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Paul Hannaby:
I was talking to a fire safety officer recently and he said the fire service had attended a number of fires which were caused by tea lights being left on flammable surfaces. He said the aluminium foil container on its own was inadequate.

I would take this to mean some sort of non flammable holder is essential.

BrianH:
An unprotected tee light was left burning atop a television in a high rise flat in Harrow Court, Stevenage a year or two back. The resulting fire cost two firemen their lives. Is there any more to be said?
Brian

thebowlerhattedturner:
It is not necessarily the risk involved but the perceived risk. You have to assume that whoever buys or uses your products is a moron. Think of a packet of peanuts, the packaging must state" may contain nuts"!!
      The questions you should ask yourself is this,if someone dies or is injured as a result of one of your products can you.......
a.Live with the knowledge that you were responsible for that injury or some one dying?
b. Can you afford to lose your house if someone sues you?
c. Would you rather take the risk or be seen to be producing articles that conform to regulations? (And there will be regulations somewhere about everyproduct you sell.)
And remember, the minute you make your first item with the intention of selling it, you are deemed to be a manufacturer no matter where you sell, shops,craft fairs or church fetes it doesn't matter.
  You mentioned using pine for a holder,some pines have a high sap content and when it burns,which it does very easily, it spits burning sap, just like mini napalm,so I would not use pine unless you can guarantee that won't happen.
Regards
John
BHT

Philip Greenwood:
I always use a glass liner on my tea lights, and a metal liner for candle sticks.

I understand that if you sell a candle stick with No candle in you don't need a liner, but if you sell a candle stick with a candle in, you Do need to use a liner, that how complicated it is when you sell items

Philip

arcos:
Ok, The tea light holders were tested and tea lights were left to burn WITHOUT a liner.

There was a very little noticeable colouring of the wood, no scorching or burning however. One thing that was VERY noticeable is that the wood shrank! Fitting a new tea light is near impossible! Ok, the seat of the holder was only about 2mm and the seat has not damaged the wood in any way!

Was an interesting test and, in my opinion....

Using a glass insert is the sensible option!

Just now need to wait for someone to go to Ikea to pick some up for me! Cannot justify driving 3 hours just for tea light inserts!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version