General Category > General Discussion

Rust Prevention

<< < (2/4) > >>

Terry Miller:
I agree with Woody ptfe is the best as it's a dry lubricant and is the same as teflon and keeps all parts free from seizing up.

Regards

Terry

woodndesign:

I had used WD40 during many Jobs: but a year or so back I got sold in more ways than a sell, on GT85, it works faster, cleaner effective penetrator,, non-sticky lubrication,  water displacer and rustproofer, which has PTFE and not silicon.

I can't fault it, works well on what I've used it for so far.

David

George Watkins:
I use allot of green wood and at the end of the day after clearing up the shavings I spray any bare metal with either wd40 or ambersil 40+ I then just wipe it off the next day and start turning. If I know I’m going to be leaving something unused for longer than a week or two I use scottoiler 365 anti rust spray or acf 50 spray, I find these sprays form a thicker layer and last a long time they are especially useful of items like my bandsaw table which will rust very fast if left untreated.

Bryan Milham:
David,

I knew I'd seen a penetrating spray with PTFE but could not remember where, thanks for pointing me at it - GT85 here I come.

I have not looked at the cost of the Axminster PTFE spray, but Screwfix do a version as well and there are a few more of their shops around than Axminster Shops.

Paul Disdle:
Thanks for all the ideas, I currently use screwfix rust barrier but that leaves a slightly tacky surface for sawdust etc.

Working on price I shall give GT85 a go.

Axminster dry lub £7.55
Screwfix wd40 dry lube £7.99
Amaxon GT85 £2.96

Thanks

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version