General Category > General Discussion

Oak, Vinegar and Wire Wool....

<< < (3/4) > >>

Paul Disdle:
Just to clarify while I do have a science background  this was a quote from a member of the aaw forum.  The link to the whole thread is on my post too and has some more interesting discussion.

Credit should go to Bob the original poster I just found it

Paul

BarryMobbs:
Hello,
 I use ordinary vinegar and wire wool and I leave it to soak for weeks before I use it.
 I then just brush it on and the result is almost instantaneous varying from black to very dark blue. There is a chemical reaction with varying amounts of tannin in the wood so it is not always the same.   Barry

Paul Disdle:
If you test on a scrap of wood and the colour is not what is expected, you can feed the wood with strong tea to boost its tannin content.

Paul

arcos:
Lemon Juice?

This is also 'free' to me as I have a glorious lemon tree giving fruit just about now!  ;)

Will this have the same effect as vinagre?

Perhaps the chemist can answer that one?  ;)

Also, as the wood is fresh cut, 'green', does this have an effect on the process?

Sorry, I was NEVER good at chemistry! Biology was my thing  ;D

Bryan Milham:
Arcos,

You'll sometimes here us talk about using Lemon Oil as a finish. For information this is made from Lemon Grass, not Lemons or Lemon Trees. There is a cleaning fluid made from Lemon and Orange rinds but I've never thought tom use it on wood!

Back to your question; Lemons contain Citric Acid so the ion exchange so well described by paul would be different to that from Acetic Acid. But, as it's the Iron that causes the colour change so I'm (guessing) there may still be an effect.

Time for an experiment methinks, and post the result, who knows, you might even start a whole new wood chemistry colouring system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version