General Category > General Discussion

roughouts with colour...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Philip Greenwood:
Hello David

Well after i turn my wet bowls i place them into bin liners to control how much moister they lose, just turn the bag inside out every week until there are dry, then in a cool place be for my workshop to finish drying.

This is how i do mine, but as Andy does them a diffident way lets see how many more ways they are.

Phil

woodndesign:

Hi Phil, 

Thank you for your ways of storing from wet, at first as you said you use bin bags, you took to spalt all your work, I see if you remember to turn the bag weekly it's not the case, do you ever forget, or what if your away on holiday, luck given such time..   ;D...

Will watch for more replys.           David

Andy Coates:
I used to store mine in plastic bags until I did forget (for weeks!) to turn them inside out and ended up with dozens and dozens of spalted holly roughed bowls. And not attractive spalting either.

I noticed that Robin Wood simply stacks his on a shelf at the back of the barn where he works (and his are finish turned but still green), so I thought I'd try the same. And it works just fine. I would estimate that out of the last two hundred I've lost half a dozen to cracks, and one VERY notable large olive ash bowl (which I still have) that warped so badly that even with an 1 1/2" of wall thickness It was so bad that you couldn't recover it.

If I was roughing a couple of thousand bowls a year for repeat orders then I might take a less carefree approach to roughing and drying, but the system I use works for me so I stick to it.

If you're a hobby turner just wanting to rough out some bowls to save on the expense of buying kiln-dried blanks, then if you can get hold of green wood of a suitable size I'd say just go for it. If you win 50% you're ahead. And the repetition of turning bowl after bowl will teach you more about tool control and shape than you would normally learn in a couple of years of bowl turning.

The only real difficulty is anticipating what shapes you might want in twelve months time. So my advoce is..keep them simple and leave enough material for a few design changes.

BrianH:
Over the years I have used all the methods mentioned. I have also forgotten to turn plastic bags far too often so I now always use paper bags. Being slighly porous the paper allows a small amount of moisture to pass through which slows but not stops water loss. No bag turning for me.
All the best
Brian

Andy Coates:
Good to see you back, Brian.

I've never got round to trying paper bags but the idea makes perfect sense. I'll give it a try one of these days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version