General Category > General Discussion

Making two matching items or more!

(1/6) > >>

arcos:
I'm struggling!

I was asked to make some earrings over the weekend and only JUST about managed to get two pieces looking more or less the same shape and size!!!

NOW....

I am on my first bowl of SIX!

Please, is there any tips for turning 'identical' pieces easily???

No, it's fine, the client KNOWS that they will not be exactly the same but she likes that but it would be nice to get the pieces somewhere close!

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hi arcos,
           try making a cardboard template from the first one you make and mark the edges of the bowl on it, then just keep offering it up until it fits, you can do the same inside and out. It is also easier to turn a bowl with a nice curve to it than trying to male one with a flat bottom.
Hope this helps, if not send a plane ticket and I will come and do them for you ;D ;D
Regards
John BHT

bodrighywood:
John's idea is the best. Richard Findley is the best one for advice though as he does loads of copies. As George intimated it does get easier with practice but make it easy on yourself to start and keep your shapes simple.

Pete

arcos:
Thanks John....

Can't offer a plane ticket but free accommodation and plenty of Medronho from the Strawberry Trees!!!

I will have a try at making a template and see what happens.

Yep, I can see that practice is the way forward but this one is going to be a challenge!!

I LIKE CHALLENGES!!!  ;D

Bryan Milham:
Arcos, you're moving very swiftly from having never turned to selling.
You're still learning the basics so try and keep things simple. Not just your turnings but peoples oders for pieces as well.
They need to be very satisfied with what you make to come back a second or more times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version