Author Topic: How rotten?  (Read 2623 times)

arcos

How rotten?
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
I have been offered a large amount of Mimosa, Eucalyptus and a few other pieces of wood that has been weathered for about 6 years.

I have cut a section of Mimosa and find that, although it has been off the ground it has begun to deteriorate perhaps a little more than I would like.

Is there a test to check the viability of wood or is it just an eye/experience thing?

If it is too far gone then at least I have about 30m2 of fire wood  ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: How rotten?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
Morning Arcos,

If I remember correctly Mimosa is the dominant species of Madera, a hard wood with dark heartwood and wonderful grain. If it's been stored off the ground some of it should be okay, the sapwood may be riddled with lil' beasties, but then again you may be lucky.

It depends what you want to turn from it. If it's Utility pieces and maybe the beasty tracks will be too much, if Decorative work, I  (personally) don't have a problem with the holes etc as they are part of the history of the wood.

Euc, I've tried to dry this stuff, it cracks and splits like crazy. It's a rough fiberious timber with a dull grey colouring. I've been told reciently you have to use it very green if you want to get anything from it. personally, I'd definatley call the Euc firewood, I'm sure it will smell great as it burns.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
Good morning dr4g0nfly

Not too sure about Madeira but wouldn't be surprised. I am surrounded by TONS of the stuff! Perhaps better known as Silver Wattle (Acacia dealbata) it is a real problem here as it just grows like a weed and is incredibly difficult to remove once it has started growing!

It is a hardwood with dark heartwood and splits terribly when drying! One interesting fact is that this wood will burn green! Cut a tree and throw it onto the wood burner and it burns beautifully!

Can't see too many holes in the trees so am going to give it a try and see what happens.

Euc... I can watch the Euc growing and twisting, literally, around me! Recent legal reforms here mean that Euc plantations are popping up everywhere. Not a good thing in this high fire risk country!

Turning it green? I am planning to take a small Euc and turn a few little things green. My expectation was that it would continue to twist once turned and produce some interesting pieces.

Euc as firewood is great and does smell wonderful. The ONE problem is that it burns VERY hot and can actually damage wood burners, aga's etc

woody

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
I was given a Eucalyptus tree freshly felled and I turned most of it wet into natural edge vases and gave them an oil finish and they sold as quick as I could turn them and not one split I tried to dry a few of the logs and every one of them split like mad you couldn't even get any pen blanks out of them they were that bad
I also turned some cherry vases which had a load of grub holes in them and some with rot holes and customers loved them especially with the holes good luck
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:33:16 AM by woody »

arcos

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
Hmmm thats really interesting.

I guess removal of material from the Euc stops the twisting...Maybe?

I just turned a piece of Mimosa that I cut yesterday, just to see what would happen when 'dried' in the microwave. A very simple dish about 2mm max thickness. Result is very minimal distortion, seems to be only the foot has taken a slight oval shape, and no cracking. It's so dry from the microwave that I even managed some discoloration of the wood  :-[