Author Topic: Spalted Paper Birch  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Spalted Paper Birch
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »
So I came-by a couple of logs of Spalted Paper Birch. It's an American tree not too dissimilar to our Silver Birch, but the bark peals off in thin sheets - paper - and is much whiter in colour to look at.

From one log I got these two vases and 5 apples (the apples have all sold already).

The smaller one is 175mm high by 130mm wide, finished in DO. I'm not sure I like it and may cut it back some.

The taller one is 215mm high by 150mm wide, finished in a light coat of beeswax and then buffed with Carnubra.

Comments & Critiques as always please, and thanks for looking.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

Re: Spalted Paper Birch
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »
The warmer tones of the shorter one I think look nicer.

Paul

Mark Sanger

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »
Nice pieces Bryan, for me the finish applied to the one on the right seems to sit on top of the wood and distracts, looking as if it needs cutting back and smoothing out, in comparison with the more organic subtle finish of the one to the left. It is a believe a more gloss finish which is always harder to photograph.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »

Stunning forms, pint & 1/2 pint ..  I favor DO must times with my bowls and platters, I normally find it soaks in and with a wipe between coats it's not overly heavy as a finish when buffed out, I got to say I like the wax finish on the larger piece, I've a few waxes and a Microcrystalline so will have to play, then how much is down to the buffing system you have and it's waxes.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:31:37 PM »
Two very nice forms there Bryan so simple yet so effective I love both of them