General Category > General Discussion

slight wobble....

<< < (2/4) > >>

arcos:
 ;D

Sorry David, I thought I would keep up the frivolity a little bit with the bearing comment.

The only thing it says on the lathe is MC-940 Wood Turning Lathe... Thats it!

Here's a link to the 'family' of lathes, although the design seems to have changed a bit!

http://www.jl-supply.com/product/page2/tools_9-2.html

I put a faceplate on and spun that up. Runs fine at every speed except 500rpm where it has a visible wobble.

Don't get me wrong it is NOT horrendous but I do need to get it sorted out... If I can't find anything obvious then I will have a try and packing the bearing with grease and see what happens. Has worked for me before so you never know, not on a lathe though.

Bryan Milham:
If you are only getting it at one speed or loading, I'd first suggest you open the hatch or whatever you can and tighten everything in sight. Also ensure the pulley block is fully tightened against the headstock spindle.

It's probably retained by a Grub screw buried deep in a hole on one of the pulley diameters, so you may need to move the belt to find it.

woody:
Sometimes there is a grub screw under another grub screw or the pulleys  could be out of alignment

woodndesign:
Ah, thanks Arcos, that helps to make it a little clearer, yours is the bottom of the picture, you've mentioned the loose pulley and Bryan has rightly mentioned the Grub screw location, be where there could be two, the first outer screw will lock one which is underneath, it would be to release the screw first before trying to tighten and if you find it won't lock the pulley, it's then there's the second below, before tightening the lower one, check the pulley alignment as it could have moved, recheck once tightened, as the screw may pull into a different locations due to wear by the pulley having been moving on the shaft.

Lets believe this is all that is wrong.

Cheers   David

:-[ ...  now why didn't I get straight to the point as you had done Woody ...

arcos:
FANTASTIC!

Thanks guys...

There is definitely a little movement on the pulley block, not much but enough to make me want to tighten something! Two grub screws are there so will take the assembly off in the morning, clean, grease grub screws, refit and tighten.

I hope that will resolve the issue!

Great minds there guys! I'm sure I would have some bits left over with your three!!!!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version