Author Topic: Heavy commission  (Read 3146 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Heavy commission
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
I was commissioned to make a pair of vase pedestals for a Georgian table in walnut. They provided the blanks. 9" square and 3' long, heavy and a sod to get centred on the lathe single handed. The finished pedestal is 600mm long and 320mm wide at the widest point. Goblets are much easier LOL. It's left bare as they will need to stain / polish to match the table top.

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Heavy commission
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
 Nice job Pete, I make it a policy now not to make anything I can't lift.
When I made the font I thought I had glued the wood to the bench  :-[ turns out it was just b****y heavy!! :'(
There is a certain satisfaction though when you turn a heavy piece.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Think I had a relapse somewhere, the dimensions are 510mm long and 160mm max. diameter.
Thanks George and John. Lifting it wasn't too much of a problem just keeping one end steady while I tightened the chuck up at the other end then centering the tail stock.

Pete

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:53:20 PM »

Pete, can't fault that one bit, like the details, good design, did the other match at a distance.

Wedges .. 2 pair of long thin ones in this case, small clearance over bed, lower one with a fixing to locate between the bar, stop sliding off, drive the upper one to left timber into place, some fiddling but not so much as before, I've found it a help with long/extra long newels, things one does on ones own.

Keep this tip between ourselves ...   ;) ...

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 06:37:01 AM »
The leg you show looks fantastic, some ones got a few pennies to throw around!

I'd love to see the finished table. Commissioned furniture like that is a rare beauty these days.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:44:20 AM »
Thank you for the comments. And the tip. I have the 2nd one to complete today. Copying is something that always takes me longer, all that measuring. I'll see if I can get a photo of the completed table from the guys who are doing the top. It will be an 8 seater so pretty big. As you say there are still people out there with money. My partner is doing the drawings for some kitchens at the moment that will leave the customers with little change from 80k each. (the kitchens not the drawings LOL)

Pete

Mark Sanger

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:05:26 AM »
Nice one Pete

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
its interesting to see the wood has got wider after turning rather than having got slightly thinner haha,nice job though,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 09:43:42 AM »
its interesting to see the wood has got wider after turning rather than having got slightly thinner haha,nice job though,regards,

Eric.

Check my 2nd post. Mental aberration corrected Be good if it were possible though wouldn't it, never have to buy wood again LOL

pete