Author Topic: Is it toxic  (Read 3376 times)

pickhanhaken

Is it toxic
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »
Hello,

I`m in Germany and I`m a woodturner, so I got a small item of Douglas Fir which was a present from a friend who had it almost 20 years in his workshop. Now he gave it to me and I wanted to make a box sand blasted, out of it. There was a small paper glued on the wood that it is pressure treated with Niedox-10.
Now my question: Can I turn this wood without going in danger with my health? or is it better to throw it away?
It has a little bid a smell of some sort of wax on it. So what can you recommend me?

Greetings
Andreas

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Is it toxic
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:55 AM »
I am wary of using any wood that has been pressure treated personally. As George said this one contains boric acid and is also deemed safe for use in playgrounds but don't forget that when turning you will be getting dust that is easily inhaled unless you have very good ventilation and an airtight face mask.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

pickhanhaken

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:28:51 AM »
Hello,

thank you for the fast reply, it gives me at least a little bid a decision what I`m going to do with it.
Thanks again.
By the way, when you have interest to see me, have a look in the magazin Woodturning No. 250
I`m the one in reader`s showcase.

Greetings
Andreas

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »
Niedox-10 Contains boric acid and ethylene glycol and is not rated as acutly toxic and is suitable for bird houses.
So I would think it is OK for a woodturner but if it was me I would still take sensible precautions.

Wow, that's some obscure knowledge, (genuflects in your direction) ;D ;D
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »

Welcome to the forum Andreas, good of you to mention that it's yourself in #250, I've just been catching up with that issue, nice to have a face to a name, view your workshop layout, read your ideas and glimpse of the few pieces that the magazine are limited to being able to print.

No doubt you'll be sharing more of your work with us soon.

Cheers    David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
Hello Andreas, As David said welcome to the Forum I enjoyed looking at the article in the "Woodturning" magazine this year in August is the AWGB Seminar with some very good woodturners demonstrating.
                                                                                 Regards John                   
John Smith