Author Topic: From odds and ends  (Read 2904 times)

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
From odds and ends
« on: March 28, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »
Hi All
I hate throwing wood away so the following two pieces were salvaged from the reject/firewood bin.
The bases are from burr oak boards that had been reduced in thickness for wall plaques and the vase sections from split oak billets.
The vase sections were part turned between centres leaving irregular sides and then the centres bored out,
The surfaces have either flat sides or been burnt or textured using a small round burr in a dremel
The finish a hard wax oil.
The items are 6 and 8 inches in height
Ken

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: From odds and ends
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »

Ken, these are two exquisite pieces, well thought out and executed, design, detail and finish, each part has come together well, stunning example of salvaging timber.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 06:50:56 AM »
Ken,

I've come back and looked at these a couple of times.

We can all turn nice items from good timber. And we borrow and give shapes, designs and flowing curves, to other art-forms like pottery.

But it's how and what can be created from salvage timber, where we have to work with holes, splits and cracks, that shows the whole wood turning art-form as standing apart from others.

I like them but they won't appeal to everyone, however you've created something unique in these two forms, something we should all strive for.

Well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
Must admit when I get fed up with doing the more mundane commissions I am likely to do things like this. I don't really expect them to sell but they do surprisingly well as they are so different. I have a sort of mantra, no wood is useless just need the imagination to think of something to do with it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.
I do like using split/cracked and gnarled timber as its more of a chalenge.
Yesterday my neighbour brought round a Cherry root ball approx 1metre diameter. I have spent all day cutting it up by hand as unable to use a chain saw as there was an one inch iron stake completely through it at an angle plus plenty of flint.But managed to get some nice lumps from it -but my arms and back are now a bit stiff - but a good bottle of wine is awaitng.
Regards
Ken

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »
-but my arms and back are now a bit stiff - 

And a hot bath with Radox, I'd guess!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!