Author Topic: Stone insert in beech box.  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Stone insert in beech box.
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »
I've been working with some polished stone inserts that I bought from the far-east, and decided to set one into a box lid. The wood chosen is beech with a very slight amount of spalting. I wanted something interesting, but not too figured to distract from the stone. the box is made from one piece of wood, 180x65x65. It took me a ridiculous amount of time to make....something like a little under 2 hours, but I'm sure that I'll improve on that (greatly, I hope!).

All comments appreciated.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
Re: Stone insert in beech box.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »
I watched a dvd the other week by Gary Rance, demonstrating one similar to this. This is as good if not better than what he did ... Plus he used Corian and Tulipwood ...  ;D

Yours looks very much like Truestone ???

Paul Disdle

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »
Looks great

Paul

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
Wow...quite a compliment; thank you, Jim. You can rest assured that the stone really is stone! I've been searching the archive of my purchase history from the dealer on e-bay, but can't find the order, as yet, but if I do, I'll post the reference to the stone.
I also have some identical shapes in red/cream stone with a marble-type pattern of speckles and blotches, but I'm not sure what colour of wood to best fit it into. It seems to me that if you get the mix of colours wrong, the finished thing will look cheap and nasty.....not a good selling point!

thanks, Jim.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:43 PM »
I bought some stone effect acrylic polymer clay to try this with, nut real stone and if it's blue must be classified as a semi-precious stone tops anything artificial.

When you manage to track down the supplier, please share,

And love the box.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 10:05:31 PM »
Hi Dr4g0nfly....thanks for the comment. I've been searching frantically for the name of the supplier, but without success. it seems that he's not advertising on ebay at the moment. However, I have found a UK based supplier of stone 'donuts' of many different types and colours. What I bought, several months ago, was a type of turquoise, but I just can't remember the name, and they cost less than £2.00 each, delivered.

The current UK supplier stocking this type of stone is markylis, who sells on ebay. Here's a link to one of the stones that he currently has in stock...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40mm-GENUINE-GEMSTONE-OLIVE-JADE-DONUT-PENDANT-/221043088339?pt=UK_Crafts_JewelleryMaking_GL&hash=item337731dbd3
if you click on 'See other items', you'll get a list of more than 1000 items that he sells. I suggest that you select the option to view 200 per page and then scroll through them....they're easy to spot as the items scroll by.

Cheers...Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
Les,

thanks for the link, I've looked at beads and the like when taking SWMBO around craft sellers markets. Beads are just that - they have holes so I can't see how to use them, but I'd not seen anything like these doughnut shapes.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »

Hi Les,

I like this piece, you've achieved the objective of a plain box to set off what is the gem of a stone, really cool color and piece.

Well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''