Author Topic: Trying something new - for me!  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Trying something new - for me!
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
Didn't have much time for turning today, but managed to grab a couple of hours to try out a few techniques that I hadn't used before. Only made one piece, a lidded bowl in zebrano, but used a few new techniques to achieve it.

I was working mostly from scraps of wood that I'd bought by the bag-load from Ockenden Timber, in Shropshire. The biggest issue seems to be the mis-match of colour in the three pieces used, but that's mostly down to the flash on the camera - in reality, they are slightly different, but not as much as the picture suggests.

The overall height is 20cm and diameter of the base is 12cm. it's my first real attempt at undercutting a rim of a bowl and at first I barely undercut it at all and was going to settle for a very thick-walled bowl, but I persevered and kept cutting a little more away until I felt too nervous to go any further.

All comments and criticisms welcome....Les
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:45:26 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Trying something new - for me!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:46:04 AM »

Hi Les, from the top picture of the piece there doesn't look to be any difference at all and it's only in the top part of the finial that we notice the difference, unusual form but the details are nice an crisp, just the slightest of sanding marks on the bowl, other wise a very nice piece, be very pleased.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
The only comment from me is the joining of the lid & bowl.

It's always hard to blend them, more-so if a distinctive grain pattern is included. We sometime work to hard to 'think timber' and don't look around enough to see similar work in other media's.

I like the method you've used here though, this is the sort of lid connection you'd find on pottery and it works well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
Hi Les,
         an unusual shape and quite pleasing to the eye, nicely balanced. Like David said a sanding mark that slightly detracts from the finish but what I think would improve it just a little is on the finial. Where the bottom of the "spire" goes into the ball I think it would look nicer if that was a bird beak shape as opposed to a fillet.
Otherwise well done , different to the norm.
Regards
John BHT

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
I like that form, almost bell shape, and from scraps too. I see what the others have said about the sanding marks but apart from that, good job. Be well pleased with yourself. Malcolm.