Author Topic: Spalted Beech Hollow form  (Read 10851 times)

Mark Sanger

Spalted Beech Hollow form
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:44:58 AM »
Hi all

This form is 6 inch diameter, turned thin from un-seasoned wood, oiled and seasoned which took about 2 weeks.

Mark Sanger

Re: Spalted Beech Hollow form
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »
Well I like it so I don't care  :) and as I said the more exposed you become to good form, the more you will start to appreciate it. ;) :)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »
Hi Mark....how 'hollow' do you manage to make shapes like that? With a top surface that is almost horizontal, to what extent do you manage to undercut it? I can imagine terrific difficulties hollowing inside a shape that you can't see into.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »
Well I like it so I don't care  :) and as I said the more exposed you become to good form, the more you will start to appreciate it. ;) :)

Does that mean I will be as clever as you one day Dad.LOL

Regards George

I just to have a laugh with you pops.  ;D , Of course I take note but we can become to preoccupied with what others think and if not careful this can clip us into the 'accepted ways' of doing things and not step out of them for fear of not getting acceptance from our peers.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
Hi Mark....how 'hollow' do you manage to make shapes like that? With a top surface that is almost horizontal, to what extent do you manage to undercut it? I can imagine terrific difficulties hollowing inside a shape that you can't see into.
Les

Hi Les

This sort of piece being turned from wet wood has to be turned thin and to a constant wall thickness or they will crack during seasoning due to the difference in shrinkage for the differing thickness of areas.

To answer your question the wall right from the rim into the base is around 2-3mm and I use a light and callipers to check, here is a view into the lower half of the form.

There is not a problem with hollowing into such a steep undercut. Infact you can with practice go much steeper and even back on your self. You need a hollowing tool with a head that can be articulated to be able to achieve it through such a small hole as well as quite a few years practice.

Here is a cutaway of a form showing a steep undercut.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
Hi Mark.

What tool is that you are using.

Regards george

Just my usual Crown Revolution, that I use for all of my work although this is the scraping tip for wet end grain I also use the ring cutter..

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
Thanks for that, Mark.....I clearly need to get loads more practice in before I attempt anything like that.
Cheers...Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »

Nice piece of beech, form & finish.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mark Sanger

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »
Thanks for that, Mark.....I clearly need to get loads more practice in before I attempt anything like that.
Cheers...Les

Hi Les

Practices is all it takes and few pointers to make the job as simple as possible.

When I started turning I was mesmerized by hollow forms thinking I would never be able to do them. Now I find making them not an issue. Are you going to Handles wood show. If so come and see me and we can go through it.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »
I'll be at 'Handles' on the Friday and might have a look at that revolution tool. Never bothered with the other articulated ones due to cost but this one seems a lot cheaper if bought blade only. Might pick your brains about it LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Hi Mark, and thanks for the reply....regretfully I won't be able to get to Yandles. It's a 450mile round-trip and we have friends coming to stay for the weekend, so I can hardly sneak out for several hours. It's a shame, because it would have been a good opportunity to meet some of the members and see a demonstration. I'll keep my eye open for an event nearer to home.
Les

Mark Sanger

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »
I'll be at 'Handles' on the Friday and might have a look at that revolution tool. Never bothered with the other articulated ones due to cost but this one seems a lot cheaper if bought blade only. Might pick your brains about it LOL.

Pete

Hi Pete

Make sure you, it is a good system for the money. Come when George isn't on the stand then you will get the correct info on how to use it.  :D

Mark Sanger

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »
Do you mean Yandles show. ::)

I was just checking if you have glaucoma  as  you don't seem to be able to view see my forms properly.  :)

Mark Sanger

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »
Hi Mark, and thanks for the reply....regretfully I won't be able to get to Yandles. It's a 450mile round-trip and we have friends coming to stay for the weekend, so I can hardly sneak out for several hours. It's a shame, because it would have been a good opportunity to meet some of the members and see a demonstration. I'll keep my eye open for an event nearer to home.
Les

Shame it is a good show.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

Hi Pete

Make sure you, it is a good system for the money. Come when George isn't on the stand then you will get the correct info on how to use it.  :D

I have the privilege of a whole day in London with George coming up in a couple of weeks LOL. I'll get his definition of 'correct' then I'm sure LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities