General Category > General Discussion

Foot or no Foot.

<< < (2/4) > >>

julcle:
Isn't that called a shortcut Brian ?

bodrighywood:
Whilst there are some basic design guidelines such as the rule of thirds etc the only rules IMHO are that you are pleased with your finished piece and / or if you are making it for sale that someone out there with the money likes it. There are fashions as with everything but a quick Google of bowls vases etc will turn up a huge variety. Look at Japanese and Chinese porcelain for exmple for ideas about what is right and wrong, soon  realise that there are very few.

Pete

Eric Harvey:
I make alot of my bowls without any foot at all,so when things are put in them they find their own balance,and don`t fall over if the foot is to small,on others I put a foot or just do a small indent in the bowl base,its entirly up to the individual wether or not there`s a foot,regards,

Eric.

KimG:
Reading Richard Raffan's books on bowl design I would say it depends quite a bit on the bowl itself, sometimes a foot can make a bland bowl much more interesting, so it definitely has a function beyond providing basic stability.

One thing Richard makes clear, a bowl will be measured as good or bad in the end by it's profile as grain and colour will fade away with time, whereas the shape is permanent, so get the shape right (with or without a foot) and you will have turned a very good bowl.

Turned bowl design and the art of turned bowls are tow of his books every bowl turner should try to acquire and read, there is much more to a good bowl than constant wall thickness!

ken rodgers:
To All,
Your replies were just as I expected- there is as such no Rule Book!! - and a good job too.

I sometimes add a foot to a piece if I think the design actually requires it, and also enhances it.

Regards
Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version