General Category > General Discussion

What's Best

<< < (2/3) > >>

Doug Barratt:
Splits in drying usually stop at the first sticker when a pile is stacked so cutting the end off deals with the problem, Sycamore needs to be dried vertically so splits can go quite a long way as there isn`t the weight of the stack on it, or so I`ve found

Personally I`d just cut the plank till I was happy I was past the split, then again looking at the price on your plank that advice is coming from a richer man than I thought I was  ;)

Hopefully you`ll still have enough for your commission.

Cheers.

woodndesign:

Cheers Doug for your time and reply,  there was more than enough if the split remains as it is, I've since been informed each piece needs to be about an 1/2" larger than first determined ...

Off to clear shop for the bandsaw ...

Cheers          David

Roger Groom:
Just as a matter of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the board, before cutting?
Roger g

thebowlerhattedturner:
I'd guess 14".
John BHT

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: Roger Groom on April 08, 2013, 03:46:38 PM ---Just as a matter of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the board, before cutting?
Roger g

--- End quote ---

Hi Roger, the board is 6ft x 11" going 13" along wavy edge, the split at it's finest point and I hope the end, runs 11" in from the end, so it's going some to have 6@10.5" there abouts plates out of the board should the split run further, it was just reasoning in how to check it the quickest way, hence to drill it's end and keep the integrity of the whole board, not knowing without measuring how seasoned the board maybe nor the change in environment with it going into my shop could cause.

Cheers    David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version