General Category > General Discussion

Then it Stopped

<< < (6/6)

Bryan Milham:
David,

It's strapped across 240V ac, very few 'ac' capacitors have a polarity (yes folks, I know some do). So if the leads are not identifed they can go on either way around.

The purpose of the capacitor is to create a phase difference between the voltage and current to give the motor a kick to start it turning, nothing more complex than that.

woodndesign:

Cheers for that Bryan, It's best to ask, not wanting a back EMF ... I'd found with automotives, electrics could be mind boggling .. Parallel or Series .. Then schmitt triggers, darlington pair transistors and capacitors/resistors .. an the joker who passes the charged capacitor ..

David

woodndesign:

Well it's been a couple weeks passed since I got to replace the capacitor and the belt, good news was for the concern about pulling the wheel off the shaft, no problem there, with the blade removed the wheel was a rattle fit .. loose and slide off, took longer to find the circlip pliers ...

Not a lot of life left in the belt .. 

...  ...

Cheers    David

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Yes I think it was safe to say you got your monies worth out of that belt ;)
Following this post with all the help and advice given perhaps between us we ought to start publishing service manuals!
Regards
John BHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version