General Category > General Discussion

Caring for my headstock!

(1/3) > >>

Les Symonds:
I could do with some advise about caring for my headstock bearings. My lathe is a Coronet No1, which has a No1 morse taper and the usual male thread over the bed, for attaching faceplates, chucks etc...see photo...

on the left-hand end of the headstock, there is a socket-head cap-screw, which serves to hold the shaft into place (and has to be removed to slide the shaft out for belt replacement)...see next pick...

So here's my questions...
1. Should I be lubricating the main bearing, and if so, how?
2. What's the correct procedure for removing things like the 4-prong drive, when it's in place in the morse taper?

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.
Les

Bryan Milham:
I've never had to change the bearings on a Coronet No. 1 so I'll leave that to someone who does know.

but taking out the 4 prong drive needs a Knockout Bar. A bar of metal that will pass through the No.1 Morse taper hole and tap the drive from the rear.

Philip Green:
My club has some of these and similar lathes. They have thread protectors that can be unscrewed to force out anything mounted in the morse taper. I forgot to fit the thread protector with the drive centre once and it was a real pig to get it out.

If you do not have one, you could ask Record. They still use the same system so should have spares.

Les Symonds:
Ah...the thread protector! The installation manual mentions it as a means of protecting the thread when tapping the shaft back in  after changing a belt....never though of being able to use it to drive out a 4-prong. Thanks for that, statsman.
Dr4g0nfly.....can't use that system as there isn't a hole through the shaft (see second photo).

....getting back to the first question, though, should I be attempting to lubricate the bearings on the main shaft?

Les

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hi Les,
         you should only try to grease the bearings if they are greaseable i.e. if there is a grease nipple through which to do so. You may find that the bearings are sealed for life in which case there is no need. The thread protector will have a hole in the middle through which your drive centre will pass, so you should always fit the thread protector unless you are using a chuck.
Regards
John BHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version