General Category > General Discussion

Chance in a million

(1/2) > >>

Les Symonds:
Purely by chance, I e-mailed somebody selling a few turning tools that I was interested in, and she happened to mention that she wanted someone to buy the contents of her late brother's workshop. To cut a long story short, I met her today at the workshop and this is what I came away with.....

In this picture, there are mainly burrs. For example, 3 pieces of myrtle, each 8x8x3, 8 pieces of thuya, 4 of them 6x6x2 and 4 of them 5x5x2, 2 pieces of jarrah, each 5x5x3 and a superb piece of finely burred elm, 11inch diameter x 2" thick, the entire piece is covered with fine, pippy little knots.

In the next picture, there's mostly spindles, but it includes gems like a couple of pieces of 2x2 pink ivory, each 12" long and a chunk of cocobolo, 3x3 and 12" long....to say nothing of 18" lengths of olive ash, lengths of ebony and macasar rosewood

...this lot has some real chunky olive ash, in 3" thick square, 10"x10", as well as two pieces of elm, the same size (and one of them has a burr along one edge

and the final load of timber, is still in my trailer because I just don't know where to keep it. It's lengths up to 4ft, of boxwood, yew, apple and cherry...

as well as this, there was a Tyme Avon lathe, a few expanding collet chucks, four turning tools (including a 1.5" x 0.5" scraper), a box full of finishes, a box of tiles and mechanisms, a box full of magazines and clock plans.....and sacks of firewood.

Where the heck am I going to start?

malcy:
Lucky boy. That looks like a good load and I hope it was a good bargain too. Malcolm.

thebowlerhattedturner:
How lucky can one person be? Well done. Put up some shelves and store it on edge so that you have easy access to it all.Start turning.
Regards
John BHT

Les Symonds:
Hi Malcy....the whole lot, including the lathe and chucks, was £310! Interestingly, Workshop Heaven is selling lumps of Jarrah burr, 4x2x1 for about £2 per cubic inch. The two pieces included with this lot total 150cubic inches....so that's £300 for two lumps of wood.

Bryan Milham:
By the time you work through that lot, you'll be an expert!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version