Author Topic: Black stain/ebonising  (Read 8332 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Black stain/ebonising
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:38:03 AM »
I've noticed several references to and photos of black stained work in this forum, but have never tried it myself. At the moment I'm a bit confused as to what direction to go in. Would anyone out there care to remark on what type/s of stains and colours they use, and what the relative benefits are?
Cheers guys...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Black stain/ebonising
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:15:30 AM »
Basically there are two types of stain, spirit based and water based. IME both work equally as well. They work on most woods and are usually applied carefully with a brush. Some woods such as ash and oak will soak the stain up in different strengths across the grain pattern showing the grain through in a way that can be attractive. They can be mixed and blended as well. To stop them seeping and kept in a specific area simply cut the grain with the point of a skew and the stain will be contained.
For oak an alternative for 'ebonising' is to use a home made brew consisting of either lemon juice or vinegar with some wire wool left to soak in it. The ferric content of the mixture can then be painted onto the oak with immediate effect of the wood blackening. This may work on some other woods but I don't know of any personally.
Note that if simply painting and you don't like the effect you can sand or turn it off wheres stain will soak into the wood and is not so easily removed so it is always a good idea to test the effect on a scrap piece of the same wood as it will look different on different woods

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »
For small items i.e. small finials or an applied foot, I have also used black Japlac (http://www.international-paints.co.uk/products/info/japlac_high_gloss_enamel.jsp).

It gives a very high gloss and smooth finish.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:29:42 PM »
Thanks for that, Pete/Bryan.

Bryan....what do you use to prime the surface? Can the enamel go over cellulose sanding sealer
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »
Hi Les.
         something else you might like to try is India ink. The black is very effective as is the blue/black but the blue on it's own is c**p.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:38:37 PM »
Lez,

it will go over just about any dry surface preparation, but I doubt it will adhere to an oil finish, so don't oil sand.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!