General Category > General Discussion

Drying boxwood

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bryan Milham:
Les,

Old Gloss Paint can be used but ensure you cover all the grain. PVA Glue, I use on part-turned items. You can buy a specailist product called 'End-Seal', or as you note in your post - wax.

Wax is wax.

I buy the large type Church candles from charity shops and car boot sales (by far the cheapest way) and I have an old meat roasting tray I melt them down into.

About the only 3 bit's of advice I can offer here are;

* Heat to at least 140ÂșC. The wax needs to set 'transparent' to be effective, and
* Don't do it in the kitchen without SWMBO's permission (I have an old 2 burner camping stove.)
* Don't over heat the wax as it can burst into flame.

I have heard a good idea is to use an old Deep Fat (chip) Fryer as it has a thermostat fitted, but I have not been lucky enough to come by one yet.

Les Symonds:
That's great advise, thanks both....guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Les

malcy:
Box wood is renowned for splitting on drying. I too am not sure the best way to season it but would suggest end sealing and drying slowly. I've jusy purchased a bottle of Chestnut brand end seal. This is a wax in emulsion form and is applied with a brush. Much easier and safer than melting candle wax, but if you have the means that is ok too. Malcolm.

Derwent Woodturning club:

--- Quote from: dr4g0nfly on April 17, 2013, 01:05:26 PM --- .....  I buy the large type Church candles from charity shops and car boot sales (by far the cheapest way) and I have an old meat roasting tray I melt them down into.

.....I have heard a good idea is to use an old Deep Fat (chip) Fryer as it has a thermostat fitted, but I have not been lucky enough to come by one yet.....

--- End quote ---
Hope you don't mind me butting in on this post but just noticed this one regarding wax sealing. Two tips:-
1. Have a chat with your local church as many of them throw out the 'stumps' of candles when they have burnt down to the cup. There's usually an inch or so left, and if the candle's one of the 'big' ones, that's still quite a bit of wax. I returned a wooden collection bowl as a 'thank you' and now have a steady supply of wax.
2. Tesco, and no doubt other supermarkets, sell very cheap 'budget' deep fat fryers. Cheap and cheerful, but temperature controlled so great for sealing logs. And when you are finished, just let the wax set and you can put the whole lot back on the shelf. 'New' lumps of wax get thrown on top, ready for the next 'melt'. And you won't be in trouble with the 'other half' for using the best pan :D. Just remember to remove the remains of the wicks occasionally. One last thing, set the temperature at its lowest when you first switch on, to give time for the solid wax to melt, otherwise it can overheat a pocket of wax round the element. Once it's all liquid, set the temp to around 140, as recommended by 'Dragonfly', and you are ready to go.

Les Symonds:
many thanks for all the advise....much appreciated.
Les

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version