General Category > General Discussion

Newbie best way to get rid Of end grain tear Out after Turning A bowl

<< < (2/9) > >>

EnErY:
Thanks people ill Do a finish on The bowl Then Post it just To Show you what I mean by it .The Bowl Is 10x4in deep out of Elm
Kind regards
Bill

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hello Bill,
            if you have tried all the methods described before this post,and they did not work,try combining them with a soaking of sanding sealer or superglue. this will have the effect of hardening the timber and may make for a cleaner cut.
regards
john BHT

Woodcrafts:
Hi Bill,

Not having seen the problem, I just wonder if the problem is not actually 'tear out' but 'bruising'. This is caused by the back of the bevel damaging the wood as you make the cut, and becomes more apparent when you apply a finish. It does show more as a ring of damage, whereas tear out is quite localised but this might be your real problem.

Many turners recommend that, after sharpening, you lightly grind the back of the bevel to remove the 'sharp' edge. After all this is what you are pivoting on when cutting inside bowls. Others suggest significantly reducing the length of the bevel, to allow tighter radius of the cut. Sorry I can't send pictures of what I mean - I am in the office doing paperwork, rather than at the workshop enjoying myself. I may try and get some pics up later on.

I may have completely the wrong diagnosis but, on the other hand, this might be the answer.

EnErY:
hi guys this is the offending tear out problem im getting  thanks for all your concerned help and comments

Les Symonds:
Hi EnErY...I'm inclined to agree with George...I've made a dozen or so bowls in  the past and have recently returned to turning, but I keep away from those sheer-sided shapes because you can't sweep the gouge around them, so there's a lot of stop-start with different tools.
Having said all that, i admire your courage and well done for tackling such a tricky piece of timber, especially that dead knot on the rim!
Les

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version