Author Topic: thuya burr bowl  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
thuya burr bowl
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »
It was John (BHT) and Woody who spurred me on to try this, in the thread about all the timber blanks that I'd bought. Tonight I grabbed the smallest lump of thuya burr that I had and just had a go. At first I was making a bit of a mess, but soon got the feel for it. The shape was going to be different, but there was a lump of stone embedded in it, so I had to change things. I understand that the thuya, which is related to cedar, grows its burrs underground in response to a major trauma suffered by the tree, like fire or storm damage.

The Moroccan government have placed an embargo on export of thuya burr, so I'll consider myself lucky to have another 7 pieces like this sitting on the shelf.

The wood was really interesting to work....a nice smell and very different to anything else that I've turned. it's out of a 6"x2" block.

Comments and criticisms always welcome.

thanks....Les
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:04:13 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: thuya burr bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »
i was just looking at the price of thuya burr.....Turners retreat are selling 5" pen blanks, five-eighths square, for £3.74....that works out at £1.91 a cubic inch. So my 6"x6"x2" block, which is 72 cubic inches, would be worth £140.00!
I'm rich!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
Les you are one lucky man!!
You have turned and finished this very well indeed you should be very happy with it.
Well done!
Regards
John BHT

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
I spent a bit of time in Morroco some years ago and saw a lot of stuff made from this wood on sale and it was not expensive.

Paul Disdle

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:15:26 PM »
Nice job, lovely patterning in the wood.

Paul

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »
John  and Paul....thanks for the comments...it was a joy to work.
TWiG....I hope that you brought a suit-case full home with you! It makes me wonder whether the Moroccan government put the embargo on the export to protect trees in the wild, or to ensure a lasting supply for its own wood-workers supplying the tourist trade! Isn't it amazing how the stock price of timber goes through the roof when it's suddenly taken off the import market?

Les
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:55:10 AM by gwyntog »

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »
good job and beautiful wood ..  :)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:13:34 AM »

Les, I keep coming back, what can I comment, this sure is one stunner as any piece of timber could be, find this in the rest of them and your quids in. What a finish you've got, excellent indeed, you've got talent. Well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
So a 6" x 6" x 2" block should be worth £140. Now the bad news 85% of it is on the floor as shavings. You've £20 worth left in this bowl!

But it's a stunning bowl non-the-less. The shape looks great and a smashing finish.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
David and Francesco......Thanks for the feedback

Bryan.....scary, isn't it, the amount that we waste. I tried to adjust the shape so as to show off as much of the burr as I could.
p.s. ...wanna buy some shavings and a bottle of ca?

Les