General Category > General Discussion

Advice before I turn a lump of elm burr

<< < (2/4) > >>

Les Symonds:
Cheers everybody for the go-for-it/leave-it advice......my head is now spinning!

David (woodndesign)...Ron's not having it....this lump is for turning soon. I need to build up a portfolio of finished pieces that I can take to a few select local galleries and hotels, and this lump of wood has got that label well and truly printed on it.

Pete....I fully accept your HO, but my current needs make this a special occasion. I am, indeed, fortunate that I didn't have to fork out for this piece. The lady who sold me the rest of the timber thought  that I wouldn't want this piece because it was full of knots - bless her. When she realised how enthusiastic I was, she just wanted me to take all the special stuff and do something interesting with it.

George....I'd love to, but I need the practice and I need some striking pieces to show when I look for buyers

David (Buskell)....thanks for the reference and I look forward to seeing the finished piece.....I'm not clear in my mind as to what you mean by an 'incurved rim'....care to enlighten me?

TWiG....thanks....I'm quite familiar with that process for turning without loosing much to the chuck recess. My main difficulty is that the platter will be the maximum size that I can spin over my bed. So, to reverse chuck it I'll have to set a second bed-bar bracket onto my bench-top and slide the bars back out of the way to get clearance to chuck it. Also, I'll have to make a special set of extended jaws for my soft-jaws chuck because the current set isn't big enough to cope with it.

Thanks guys....I might not get around to it this weekend as I'm going down to the show at ISCA, where I'll no doubt bump into George and I definitely won't be taking the lump of burr with me (sorry George)

Les

woodndesign:

Cheers and if's must go for it.. will watch for yet another wonderful result that you've been getting from that stack of lumber ..

Les Symonds:
Cheers David....I knew that you would understand! By the way; I mentioned that this bit of wood has a label on it. Well, it does, and it says that it cost about £18.00 - I wonder what it would fetch in this day and age....if you could still buy it.
Les.

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: gwyntog on May 16, 2013, 09:33:13 PM ---Cheers David....I knew that you would understand! By the way; I mentioned that this bit of wood has a label on it. Well, it does, and it says that it cost about £18.00 - I wonder what it would fetch in this day and age....if you could still buy it.
Les.

--- End quote ---

Understand...   :o  ...  OoooH ....  you lucky .. lucky Man ... To have found and to try an find a piece of Elm, an Burr at that, anywhere near to this would be well ...   ::) ...  :D ...  You found what must have been a knowledgeable gentleman .. his investment couldn't have been cheap, even in that day at £18.00 ..  Looks like you'll get Elm, but not alot of that's Burr ..

Cheers  David

Richard Findley:
Gwyntog

Definitely don't give it to George, he'll only pour paint all over it!!!  ;)

You really need to get a copy of the book David suggests. It gives some really great examples of classic shapes for bowls, platters and boxes. I recommend it to all my students (who are into bowl work)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Projects-Mark-Baker/dp/1861083912/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368741583&sr=1-1&keywords=mark+baker%2C+woodturning

An incurving bowl looks something like this:

Hope that helps

Richard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version