General Category > General Discussion

Wood Art Collaboration Carlow, Ireland

<< < (3/5) > >>

Mark Sanger:
Thanks for the comments and interest Andy.

One of the questions often asked is ' where do you get your ideas from' your comments and example are a perfect example.

thebowlerhattedturner:
Mark we had a club night last night and one of the topics of conversation was what you have achieved in Carlow.
 We all found it fascinating.
Thankyou for posting about this and the video.
regards
john BHT

Bryan Milham:
Mark,

I've been looking at this since I got back last evening. It really is a stunning piece of work and worthy of the title of Collaborative Art. The details from the largest stones down to the smallest parts, a cobweb and I think even a snail are truly amazing.

The door with the carving behind is (to me) reminiscent of the inner chamber of Newgrange in Ireland. I'm guessing that was the idea. Was any consideration made for (or did I miss) the carvings of the Ogham language in the film.

I'm really looking forward to your eventual write up on your blog.

Mark Sanger:
John

Thanks for your interest, it was amazing what happens when a group of people get together. The interesting part of it is that we had no prior idea of what we were exactly going to do, how to build it, how we wanted it to look. But it turned out great.

Mark Sanger:

--- Quote from: dr4g0nfly on June 14, 2013, 08:01:19 PM ---Mark,

I've been looking at this since I got back last evening. It really is a stunning piece of work and worthy of the title of Collaborative Art. The details from the largest stones down to the smallest parts, a cobweb and I think even a snail are truly amazing.

The door with the carving behind is (to me) reminiscent of the inner chamber of Newgrange in Ireland. I'm guessing that was the idea. Was any consideration made for (or did I miss) the carvings of the Ogham language in the film.

I'm really looking forward to your eventual write up on your blog.

--- End quote ---

The chamber was not connected to Newgrange, but what people see in a piece will alter from what is intended and this is the fun part of trying to interpret what you are viewing.

The door way was reminiscent of the old door in Irish homes, a gateway, opening, something to explore, what is behind it, and when opened the carving is seen.

The carving was carved by the Chinese Master carver to represent an old Chinese coin, on this was represented the Irish horse rearing up proud, strong, and the other side the Chinese dragon, a representation of the two countries coming together as friends.

In relation to the carvings of the Ogham stone, yes consideration was given with the words being carved being the woods that were used in the wall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version