General Category > General Discussion

Inspiration

<< < (2/3) > >>

BrianH:
My own sugestion for filling those empty bonce moments is to wack a piece of wood between centres cut a hat of any description on the tailstock end and then work your way down to a feet shape at the other....hey presto, another 'bloke' is born and you've had a little more practice and probably a smile to boot...What a deal 8)
A few characters I've made in the past include
Guardsman
Sailor
Charly Chaplin
Char Lady
Diddy Man
Top Hat
Etc etc
All the best with it
Brian

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I'd like to see a picture of the men Brian.
regards
John BHT

BrianH:
The only one I have actually kept, John, is a guardsman pencil box made for a mag article some years ago. The rest have gone to the nearest kiddy or been sold for charity but the more basic ones really are the work of minutes.
All the best
Brian

Bryan Milham:
Sound like a need for a Work in Progress photo session.

BrianH:
Sorry Mr Fly, I disagree entirely. The original point of this thread was a beginner looking for inspiration and I strongly believe imagination is a large part of inspiration so I would far rather encourage him to engage thought cells than just give him something to copy. With that in mind perhaps a quicky description might get him and any others in a similar position the start they need.
Put a scruffy bit of firewood, of roughly humanoid proportions, between centres, or chuck and centres if prefered.
Start at the tailstock end and turn a top hat shape...don't forget the hat band!
Then move on to turn a headshape...'U' shape, not spherical cos he's wearing the hat
Below the 'chin' comes the shoulders in the form of a rounded off right angle
A long but shallow cove hints at a waistline before a sharp step forms the hem of his jacket
Trousers are one long taper ending at an extended bead for his feet
Part off, job done....unless you fancy giving him a face, buttons or whathaveyou with pyro or pen and colouring him with paints or felt tips to taste.
A 'Bloke' is born
All the best with it
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version