General Category > General Discussion

Point tool

<< < (3/4) > >>

woody:
I know craft supplies sold the 9 in 1 tool and it was never refereed to as a pointed tool I had one for years I  was just showing a tool with a point that did the same as the one in the link trying to be helpful I use mine for several jobs on spindle work like rolling beads, balls, planing cuts, cutting coves and on end grain

Andy Coates:
apologies, woody...

much clearer in the new pic, but as said it's a 9 in 1 rather than a point tool, but will do what a point tool does. a fine example of how tool manufacturers will do to convince us we need a new tool when we already have a  spindle gouge and a skew that will do the jobs better..

Paul Hannaby:
I use a three point tool (the round bar with three bevels type) because I believe in using the best tool for the job and I think there are things the three point tool does better than any other.

I agree with Andy about there being some tools that seem to be there just to generate sales but I don't think the three point tool is one of them.

I remember reading something about the purpose of  colourful fishing lures was more to catch anglers than fish! I think we can draw a similar parallel with wood turning.

Screwples:
Hi Les,
The point tool can be the most valuable tool in your “armoury”.  It was first popularised by Bill Jones, though I guess used not only by him but also his dad and his contemporaries.  In the days before the ready availability of tools for turning many were home made from, amongst other metal objects, old files. The point tool was originally made from a triangular file, not to be recommended these days. The cost of producing HS Steel triangular blanks was prohibitive and so the point tool for many years now has been made from round bar. This actually makes them even more easy to manipulate. I favour the 1/4” diameter size and very rarely use one any larger. I probably make more use of this tool than did Bill Jones, though without his skill. The three face angles can be varied according to the use to which you intend to put it.
It can be used in many ways for different uses and, contrary to some belief, can be very similar in action to a three sided user friendly skew chisel. It is ideal for executing crisp detail and very good for rolling small beads. Only when used consistently and with practice does its full potential become apparent.
To see how best to use it there is a section on my Screwples No1 DVD.  

Hartwood:
John Berkeley demonstrated the point tool this evening at Shropshire Woodturning. We saw first hand just what the tool can do in skilled hands, it is so versatile and unrivaled for fine detail, in addition John also planes long grain, faces end grain and just about everything else with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version