General Category > General Discussion

Unusual commissions

(1/4) > >>

bodrighywood:
I am sure we all get very strange requests at times. I am at the moment getting my head around making a complete spinning wheel that can be easily dismantled for transport and a pair of candelabra made from a matching pair of red deer antlers using dark wood and pewter. Both have to be designed as well as made. Proving interesting to say the least. What weird and wonderful commissions do others get?

Pete

Bryan Milham:
Certainly not as different or complex as yours but I've just completed a walnut Quaich (Scotish drinking cup) fitted with a Queen's Shilling to 'Pay the Piper' at an Army Regimental Dinner.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Ah! Pete,
               those old chestnuts of spinning wheels and candelabra ;) didn't realise they were still about ;D ;D
Good luck, show us a picture.
Regards
John BHT

Richard Findley:
Hi Pete

I find spinning wheels fascinating, but I've never really understood how they work, or really what they do, despite speaking to a chap that spent a good bit of his life making them. Because I just don't really get it, I don't really feel I could make one. I like to properly understand what I'm doing.

I've been thinking about my wierdest jobs. I've made parts of a replica machine gun (I have pictures knocking around somewhere) rocket boosters for a Saturn style rocket for a shop display and recently, maple gym bars for a gymnast to swing on.

Cheers

Richard

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
How about a pair of Indian clubs that were drilled and weighted with lead that were so heavy I could just lift one with both hands.
John BHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version