General Category > General Discussion

Up-Cycling

(1/2) > >>

Bryan Milham:
As a follow-on from Paul Disdle’s Ballduck and his source for the pool balls. There is a movement, slowly growing but gaining ground, for Up-Cycling old items.

What items do you look for to add to or aid your work and what way do you source them?

As a start;

* Previously I've posted pictures of glass bottles and pots I've found in Charity Shops for which I’ve made new lids – they sell well.
I use Car-Boot sales for;

* candles to seal the end-grain of my blanks.
* Seashells to add to my turnings.
* Cheap ceramics with attractive shapes I can use as a starter shape on a vase or somesuch (I’m getting a bit of a collection and some toe-tapping from SWMBO!)
* Anything I can hang ornaments from as I’ve not found a reasonable source in the UK.
* Nail varnish – wonderful colours (and textures) to add to some of my coloured work.
* Old Cast Steel chisels for making ‘one-off’ tools,
* And more, but lets hear from some of you as well.

Les Symonds:
Well-weathered old oak fence-posts and any interesting scraps out of the woodpile. Chair legs and table legs.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I up-cycle Oak trees into door wedges amongst other things,...........does that count? ;D
regards
John BHT

bodrighywood:
Pewter tankards to melt down, Old furniture especially 50's for oak, parana pine and Spanish mahogany. Old stools often have elm seats as well. Glass ware for T lights and lidded jars, old chisels same reason as Dragon. Old jewellery and glass beads for various decorative purposes.

Pete

John D Smith:
I have posted this picture before these weed pots were made from old Cleaved Oak fence posts.

Regards John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version