General Category > General Discussion

New club lathe

(1/3) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
My club are thinking of buying a new lathe.
We are thinking of getting an Axminster AH-1218VS
Has anyone used one? I would appreciate honest comments about it before spending members money.
Regards
John BHT

Andy Coates:
It's a good lathe, John. Good capacity and a strong well torqued motor with VS. You can't do BIG on it, but more than enough as a club/demonstration lathe.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Thanks Andy,
                  that's all I need to know.
Regards
John BHT

John D Smith:
Hello John,
              One of our members has just purchased this lathe I went with him to our local Axminster Store to advise and get the discount

the one thing we didn't  like was the hand wheel at the left hand side of the headstock was covered by the cover otherwise he is pleased with it.

Regards John

Doug Barratt:
Not intended to throw the cat amongst the pigeons & it`s not exactly the same model, but the club I go to bought a similar Axminster lathe about a year ago & the half dozen or so "pros" who have demonstrated on it have grumbled about one thing or another about it whilst demo`ing.

At least 2 have struggled with it slowing down whilst taking a cut, though whether that was because they were trying to turn something outside the limits of the lathe I don`t know, but they weren't turning large pieces. Others have complained about the amount of vibration, it is on what I believe to be the corresponding Axminster stand.

As I say it`s not the same model & they are certainly value for money, presumably that`s why our club opted for the lathe.

Perhaps as this lathe is going to be in front of all your members & hence free advertising for them, it might be a good idea to ask Axminster if you could try one of their demo lathes at your club, got to be worth a phone call explaining you want a club lathe, at least then you can form your own opinions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version