General Category > General Discussion

When does the 'decoration' become more important than the 'piece'?

<< < (3/3)

hughie:
Well with the rise of all sorts of new technology shorts cut come along as well and no doubt new 'arts' will arise out of the technology.
But I still believe the artist should be able to create master piece with any enhancement of the piece by manipulation through new technology. It is all matter of taste and judgement of what art is or is not.
I can only offer up what I do with the embellishment of the pieces I make. They are all hand done and sold as such and this is feature that is promoted by the gallery as a measure of quality and artistry.

Paul Hannaby:
I don't think the decoration is more important than the piece but it can elevate it to another level if the combined result hits the mark.

I would also say that far too often decoration, texture, carving, colouring, pyrography etc. is applied to a piece that was wrong to start with and in those situations, the addition does nothing to salvage it!

bodrighywood:
I have to agree with Paul that unless the original, undecorated piece is a good shape and well made no amount of decoration will make it better. To me that smacks of using decoration to disguise bad workmanship. Doesn't work......I tried LOL.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version