General Category > General Discussion

When does the 'decoration' become more important than the 'piece'?

<< < (2/3) > >>

bodrighywood:
Not sure if I can add on what has already been said but I'll try. Woodturning is a skill, a craft and when done in certain ways becomes an art. If you are trying to produce  a practical item then the wood is all that is needed generally, practicality and usability being the main aim. If however you are also trying to produce something that can be defined as art then you are entering a different field all together. Either you see the wood as a blank canvas, shaped to fit your idea of the end result or you see it as part of a completed work. If you make pieces like Marks or Binh Pos then the turning is integral as it provides the shape and form that you will then enhance with decoration etc. A bad shape, badly turned will do nothing to bring that sense of 'Wow' you get when you see them. Your vase is, as said, IMHO more art than craft as it is not a practical piece but is using the shape and material to create something that will make people think, evoke emotion which is what art should be about. Simplifying it totally, people can look at a piece of wood turning , decorated or not and either think that it is really useful or really beautiful. Whether it is decorated in some way or not is actually irrelevant. Same applies to pottery, metal; work, pretty much any craft.

Pete

woodndesign:
Les, You've come up with something again of interest and the others have all touched on an integral part of all Art ...

Going by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia....

Artistic license (also known as dramatic license, historical license, poetic license, narrative license, licentia poetica, or simply license) is a colloquial term, sometimes euphemism, used to denote the distortion of fact, alteration of the conventions of grammar or language, or rewording of pre-existing text made by an artist to improve a piece of art...

We are told our Ancestors did the first Cave paintings .. on Rock .. as mentioned on wood, may well have been the next .. if not painting each other, well tattoos .. but on wood Religious Icons ..The Virgin, Saints and Apostles to name a few in Art ... not to mention painted Furniture .. what would Thomas Chippendale have thought to see such things..  Today a grain film over mdf or veneer faced ply ... paint optional ..

The one thing which took over from wood (which we try to emulate in form) .. Pottery, China and Porcelain which has been decorated over the Centuries .. Moorcroft being one of the finest, if not again to everyones taste.

Now what was the Sistine Chapel ceiling ... Art wise it's been paper or canvas paintings over time.

Back to wood and yes,Decoration on wood has it's place, we find as said it's over the bland timbers, or the very light stains over Ash or others to enhance the grain, where carving is done, as with Hughie work sets off the more exotic timbers ... should anyone paint those ..  :o .. the end is whatever the piece, it is bespoke by the person who made it from WOOD .. the craft or Art of Woodturning.

IMHO   David

Les Symonds:
Well, Mark, Bryan, John, Malcy, Pete and Dewi....thanks for your extensive input. It's great to see that you are, generally, all of one mind and whilst I am able to know my own opinions and make up my own mind, it's really helpful to know that there's such a strong body of opinion out there. I'm beginning to experiment with colour ( albeit on Christmas baubles) and the Steampunk vase has really pushed me into moving away from what was once my firmly held belief that wood-is-good and that decoration might just be getting in the way. Whilst I genuinely admire the sort of work that Mark and Andy (to name just two) show us frequently, I still haven't ventured far down that road, but I now feel a bit more confident about starting out. Looks like I just might put a pyrography machine on my combined birthday/Christmas present list!

Thanks again, guys.....helpful as ever!

Les

Bryan Milham:
Les,

the use of colour, texture, pyro, carving etc may have escaped you (so far), but your use of semi-precious stones is inspiring in it's own way. You're developing a style of your own that is growing with your skills. Allow time for the additional skills to be needed and use your cast-offs (mishaps) for playing/experimenting with new ideas. Remember, very few ideas work first time.

Les Symonds:
Thanks, Bryan...that's reassuring.

Les

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version