General Category > General Discussion

Casting resin

<< < (2/3) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Thanks Brian, tried the West system, too soft.
Regards
John BHT

Haggy:
Hi John
Sorry I haven't kept up to date with this web site  - are you still interested in advice re: casting resin or  have you got things sussed by now?
  Regards Haggy

Hi Haggy,
              I am always in the market for advice. I have since tried cold enamel and although I have had some success with this it does not polish so the final casted product,which is quite glossy, is what I have to end up with. I have had a problem with it separating from the wood too.
       So any advice will be most welcome.
thankyou,
Regards
John BHT

Haggy:
Hi John,
I have been through a long period of trialling and testing too.
As Martin has advised you a pressure pot and PU water clear casting resin is the answer.
The best resin I have used is alumilite, it turns beautifully, I have made lots of fusion pen blanks with it. It is not brittle like the polyester resins and sticks like you know what!
Your problem will be to get the equipment- but it opens up a whole new world eg you can also pressure impregnate all your turned work rather than having to give it multiple coats of oil, the oil is forced into all the micro cracks/ grain.
        Good luck
             Haggy

Haggy thanks for that, you may have misunderstood what I am after. I don't want to impregnate the wood, I want to lay it on top. The reason I want to be able to turn it is so that I can polish it to a high gloss.
I will send you a PM
regards
John BHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version