General Category > General Discussion

Bench Grinders for sharpening

<< < (3/3)

Mark Sanger:

--- Quote from: john taylor on October 20, 2013, 12:15:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on October 20, 2013, 10:31:03 AM ---Now you see I wouldn't have a Ferrari, not enough boot space for my turning tools :D
One of the most important things(IMHO) for sharpening is repeatability.
Spend the money you save on cheaper grinders and buy a decent grinding jig. Like Mark I prefer the Sorby Universal jig but I have to say that is the only commercially produced  jig I have used.
   I made a B&Q grinder run backwards and turned it(in effect) into a linisher and I use this for my skews but also, if I do need a finer finish straight from the chisel I will hone the chisel on this machine.
    Realistically, if your cut is "clean" and the bevel has rubbed during the cut, the modern day abrasives are capable of producing the finish you require.

On second thoughts I could always put my tools in a trailer, do they do towing hooks for Ferraris? ::)
Regards
John BHT

--- End quote ---

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=273152&f=23&h=0  ;D

john

--- End quote ---

Thanks John

Now all I have to is sell a few more noodle bowls. :) :)

Richard Findley:

--- Quote from: Andy Coates on October 20, 2013, 07:39:30 PM ---
The RPBG8 is often on show offer for about £40. The white wheels are about £22 to replace ( I go through 1 a year). I've used the grinder for eight years without issue. It's a no brainer for me.

As others have said, I'm often tempted by the CBN wheels, but I'll have to wait until the cost wouldn't itself be a compromise with something else...like eating!

--- End quote ---

Bloody hell Andy! A wheel a year? You either grind a hell of a lot of steel or Record make their wheels from cheese!

I used to use an antique grinder which was a bit short on guards. When I started teaching I thought I should cross the i's and dot the t's as it were, so bought a decent grinder. I'd managed with a 1" stone so treated myself to one with 40mm wheels. I figured 8" would last longer than 6" so I went for that, and seeing as I was spending anyway I thought sod it, and went for slow running. I chose an Axminster model and it still only cost me £100 about 4 years ago. Still on the original wheels, and I only use one end!

Really tempted by the CBN wheel and everyone I speak to raves about them but it really hurts to spend £200 on a grinding wheel. When my white now wears out I probably will take the plunge but I reckon there's another couple of years in it yet!

As for jigs, I was always too tightfisted to buy one, and by the time I could afford it I was pretty good at doing it without, so I still just use the tilting platform and do it freehand.

Cheers

Richard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version