General Category > General Discussion

Turning with Gloves On

(1/6) > >>

Bryan Milham:
On Page 63 (says 95 in the index) of the latest Woodturning mag there are 5 pairs of gloves to be won.

Now I was always taught that you should not turn with gloves, but there are times I do...

...I wear a glove on my left hand when I have a big rough (bark on) piece of wood or and when I'm turning something with a thin wall that wants to vibrate. I use my palm to dampen the vibrations.

My preference is for sailing gloves (left over from when I used to race Army yachts for my corps). Snug fit and velcro fastening at the wrist. All finger covers end before the middle knuckle (not just 2 finger tips) and they have Kevlar palms, great for wear and abrasion.

What does everyone else do?

Gloves Yes or No?

Andy Coates:
Same as you. And almost the same glove. Left hand only, and only as a last resort to save skin. AND EVER SO CAREFULLY!

woodndesign:

Hi Bryan, This could be the great debate .. I have in the past wore rigger gloves as it had been a habit with work, handling cold greasy steel and other things ... the pairs I have remaining I use with rough work in the garden, after all it classed work gloves.

There has been a big debate on WOW about the subject with no real result, maybe 50/50 .. top turners there are seen wearing them, if it's down to gloves, the most say golf glove, much like your own and agree the reason for them rough turning hard burrs the chips cut even gloves.

Bottom line, as with anything worn for turning it shouldn't be loose fitting, as with fingers, it goes for gloves, they're on the hand after all, you keep to the rule reasoning of the hand/fingers will remain .. if they remain on the outer face of the tool rest, not over it at any time.

Then as with most anythings in Life, any part of turning has it's risks, the wearing of glove only if one is sensible.

Cheers   David

John:
I use a left hand glove when turning big and rough blanks, I have had an injury to my small left finger this gets quite painful when chips keep hitting it.
I use leather gardening gloves. (the left hand one does not have the wear of the right when used for the allotment).
John

Paul Hannaby:
I would never wear gloves when turning. I like all my fingers where they are!

One solution to the chips hitting your little finger is to use a small plaster applied to the area on your finger where this happens but make sure the plaster is only a small one and not one that is large enough to be wrapped all the way round your finger. That way, if it ever did catch on something, it would just be ripped off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version