General Category > General Discussion

They just don't have a clue!

(1/3) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Sometimes I think the gene pool could be thinned out somewhat.
I was demonstrating at the weekend with other craftsmen and women at an event held in a NT property. Things were going quite well, I had made a few bits, sold a few bits and cracked a few jokes that attracted one or two laughs, I engaged in conversations about turning in general and even managed to get a small commission.There were even less men who"used to do a bit of this"about so I didn't even have to put up with that lot, all in all it was turning into a good day.
You get to the point when you have heard(or thought you had heard) it all before, until a father, about 35ish called his two children over with the words" there's a man here wooding"!! I then said I am actually turning stuff on a lathe so he promptly exclaimed to his two SNERTS (Snotty Nosed Egotistical Rude Teenagers)" Oh he is latheing"!!! >:(    I was then asked " which end do you put the wood in?" By this stage I was feeling compelled to make something, anything, to try to enlighten his FLK's (Funny Looking Kids)to the marvels and majesty of turning so I picked up a piece of Maple just over and inch square and six inches long with the intention of making a honey drizzler,I fix it between centres and looked up to see the whole family, happy in their ignorance wandering off probably to be ignorant about another time honoured craft.
      I know the voices in my head are not real...........but sometimes they really do have good ideas!!
Regards
John BHT

bodrighywood:
The stupidity of some people is really flabbergasting isn't it LOL. Big signs and banners saying wood turner, cards and pamphlets etc and still I get asked regularly if I make this stuff myself.

Pete

Les Symonds:
You've got to laugh! A few weeks ago I took some of my lidded bowls and boxes to work to see if any of the staff wanted to buy any for Xmas presents. One person asked (of a 6" diam x 5" deep spalted beech bowl) 'How long did it take to make this?', so I told her that it was about an hour, from start to finish, to which she replied, something like,.....'Is that all, I thought that you be days working on that!' She then asked if I carved it all with chisels, so I briefly explained how the lathe turns at high speed and you offer the 'chisels' up to it to shape the wood. 'That's cheating!' she said, '...that's not proper carving'.
Arghhhhhhh....Philistine!

Les

Bryan Milham:
Gross Ignorance (def'n), 144 times worse than normal ignorance

woodndesign:

John, so he got you into a bit of a lather ...  ;) ..

Cheers   David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version