Author Topic: First Bowl  (Read 3320 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
First Bowl
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:43:32 AM »
Hi All

Just turned my first bowl

Regards

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: First Bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
Hello Ed,
             for a first bowl I think you have done very well there. I would like to see a more curvy shape(remember curvy shapes?) I can but I don't know why! anyway a more curvy shape. A nice round bottom.........no I'm not getting into this. ;D
Forget trying to do any fancy shapes, turn a nicely rounded bowl with an even wall thickness and spend plenty of time getting rid of all the turning and sanding marks. Try for an even curve.
But well done for your fist attempt.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
Pretty sure my first bowl didn't look as good as this. I agree with John about the 'curvy shapes' partly personal taste and partly because a rounded bowl is a lot easier than a square one like this.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
Thanks for your comments.

I'll do a more rounded one a bit of yew. The turning line's didn't look as bad as they do now polished up, I think a lot more practice with the gouge is required.

Regards

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 02:22:11 PM »

Hi Ed, you've done really well for your first bowl, form will come with time and practice.

One thing that is always advisable is to resharpen for the last finishing cuts, the best off the tool finish saves time sanding and tool marks/end grain tear out are seldom removed by sanding.

Spindle turning practice is an aid to tool control, form and finish.

Starting out one can also be limited by the lack of tools or jaws to achieve maybe the ideal form or finish.

Above all enjoy your turning.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum

Congratulations on turning your first bowl. We're all into nice curves these days but you've turned a practical looking bowl that you can use for various things. Lovely grain in the piece of timber you've chosen, don't worry too much about the tooling marks on your first attempt!
When you turn your piece of yew make sure your gouges are nice and sharp,take plenty of time and try to get the best finish you possibly can off the tool before starting sanding. When your sanding keep the lathe speed around 500rpm or so and don't apply too much pressure,it's very easy to produce too much heat and yew can suffer terribly from heat checks ( lines that look like cracks ) and this can spoil the finish.
Anyway, again welcome to the forum and I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing your next project. Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeep turning! :)
Regards
Roderick
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 10:43:02 PM »
Thanks Roderick

Now learned another thing I thought I need the speed high to sand so sanded the yew at about 1800rmp I'll try another piece and sand at 500rpm as you suggested, I found that the gouges where better sharper on the yew.

Regards

Ed   

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »
High speed will give you the heat checks as you have found and yew is particularly susceptible to it as I found out once when in a hurry.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »
Ed,

I like the top, but the rest looks a little like a plantpot I'm afraid. having said that for a first attempt it's more than passable as a bowl.

A couple of tips,

Try to see what you want to make before you put the tool to the timber, then try to make the tool make your vision. It will not come straight away but it will come.

And the second (and something many of us are still guilty of),

Don't try to maximize the turning to the size of the timber. Allow for some to be cut away to enable you to shape the foot you ant, not the foot you are left with.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!