Author Topic: What do you want to see demonstrated  (Read 7018 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
What do you want to see demonstrated
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:11:01 AM »
Hello All,
             I am sure there are certain members of each club that seems to be responsible for the ideas for club night. I know this happens in my club.
    How about listing things that you have seen demonstrated and things that have been done on hands on night? This could then be a reference for other clubs and groups (and individuals like me) who are running out of ideas.
Because it's my thread I get to choose the easy ones first  ;D ::)
Bowls  and stair spindles.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: What do you want to see demonstrated
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »
John,

for myself, I find this always to be a difficult question to answer.

New members who are also new to turning want to see the fundamentals of ‘How to’.

Most members seem to only want to be entertained for the evening, so to see something being made from start to finish. Always good if they then go home and try to do it themselves (I made a copy of your Pot Pori holder, you’ll remember).

For myself, I want to see different techniques, not just wood turning, but finishing, carving/texturing, colouring, other surface enhancements etc..  So how to get to the finishing stage is unimportant. I’ve also noticed that the few members in my club who are prepared to ask questions, always ask more when this subject is covered than any other.

One thing I do find good is the ‘hands on’ evenings, when (for example) I am demonstrating small spindle turnings in my club. The members can gather in small groups (working around the stands) and get a closer look at what and how I am doing something, or have an opportunity to try it under my (or other demonstrators) guidance. You cannot always see the finer aspects of such work at a distance and there is a greater opportunity for Q’s & A’s.

But in all things it must be a balance, you have to please everybody, so over the year a mix of presentations is a must.

I will however follow this thread with great interest, it is a very good question.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:11:44 PM »
As mentioned in another thread I would like to see, and have a go at thread cutting. One thing I have never seen at a club is an evening on design. Not sure how it could be done as it is so personal in some ways. Various ways of turning off centre is another one which often goes down well.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
As a new boy, I would like to see or have a talk on converting timber to use for turning, safety issues when using chainsaws & Bandsaws, and what part of the tree to use for what.  ???

I'm certain some of the 'Old Hands' know this subject well, and convert their own trees into blanks etc but I'm sure that some of us Newbees would welcome this subject being shown/discussed.  :)

Regards,
Bob.
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:24:10 PM »

Hello All,
             I am sure there are certain members of each club that seems to be responsible for the ideas for club night. I know this happens in my club.

Regards
John BHT

Well in my club that would be me!  One major problem is that many of the best known demonstrators live all over the country and the mileage can exceed their demo fee. I try to make a programme for a full year so I could be booking someone up to eighteeen months ahead, so bringing in a demonstrator at short notice an be tricky.

I agree that many members simply want a good evenings entertainment, and as they keep coming back I assume they are getting it.

Most demonstrators want to show a technique which may be new to members and some of these can be advanced, so I try to get some demonstrators to do the basics, it never hurts to have some basic turning techniqes reinforced along with a few safety tips.

Well what do I want from a demo? as club secretary I want to see that someone has learned something, and someone is inspired to try something new. We also like to see other woodworking skills on occaision, carving, stick making and chair making have featured in the past.

Given the range of skills within the club this will not apply to everyone everytime of course, but over the months we should all get something.

So I have 2014 fully booked and I am now looking for ideas for 2015!

To see our 2014 programme look at our website

www.bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net

Sorry but I can't see how to post a link.

For 2015 I am all ears for you suggestions

Ron

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »
this is a tricky one as everyone has different ideas on what they would like to see at a demonstration,personaly I`d like to see more carving and piercing techniques,also thread chasing,still trying to get the hang of that.Simple things like baby rattles to,everyone seems to have their own design for these and they always go down a treat with new parents,mostly things that ordinary turners can afford to to without all the special tools and jigs and expensive spray equipment would be good,as alot of hobby turners just can`t afford these things,like lots of the deep hollowing tools now are out of reach of a majority of garden shed turners,like how to hollow a bud vase without these,that would be a good one,hollowing the base with a spindle gauge first then plugging it and hollowing the neck with a spindle gauge once its reversed in the 4 jaw chuck/jamchuck,I`m sure theres many good ideas out there,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
mostly things that ordinary turners can afford to to without all the special tools and jigs and expensive spray equipment would be good,as alot of hobby turners just can`t afford these things,like lots of the deep hollowing tools now are out of reach of a majority of garden shed turners,like how to hollow a bud vase without these,that would be a good one,hollowing the base with a spindle gauge first then plugging it and hollowing the neck with a spindle gauge once its reversed in the 4 jaw chuck/jamchuck,I`m sure theres many good ideas out there,cheers,

Eric.

I have had two requests for demos on turning  old wood and wood that perhaps many would reject so there is a desire for learning how to 'turn on a shoestring'. I agree that it is all to easy to think that getting the latest tools and equipment will make you into a super turner but I learned to turn on a school graduate with no chuck, basic gouges, scrapers made from old files, not recommended I hasten to add and glue chucks.  I firmly believe that we can turn beautiful things with the basics and maybe this is something that would go down well in many clubs. It would need to include the safety aspect as well of course but any good demonstrator will always emphasise this side of things anyway.

Pete

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »
Being new to wood turning, I think that you soon find your way around the basics that half the fun of it, but then you start to push the turning and that when things can and do go wrong. Hollowing a deep bowl and hollowing under a returned lip I guess are things that I would like to see, also what you can do with a gouge other than the standard push and pull cuts.

A planed course of demos starting at point A and over the year building on this. At the start the more experienced turners can all show off their talents, but has the year progresses then they will also learn new tips and tricks.

Also there could be a section on starting up and what to look for and what to avoid when setting up your own workshop, I read a thread earlier where someone was given a gouge and it seemed to be the general consensus that this gouge could be dangerous and should be turned in to a form of scraper!!!

Ed     

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:08:24 PM »
As mentioned in another thread I would like to see, and have a go at thread cutting.
Pete

You may be interested in the thread chasing course in Bristol then? Take a look on the website for details.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »
As mentioned in another thread I would like to see, and have a go at thread cutting.
Pete

You may be interested in the thread chasing course in Bristol then? Take a look on the website for details.

Which website Paul?

Pete

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 07:42:40 PM »
The AWGB website!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
Hello All,
    How about listing things that you have seen demonstrated and things that have been done on hands on night? This could then be a reference for other clubs and groups (and individuals like me) who are running out of ideas.
Because it's my thread I get to choose the easy ones first  ;D ::)
Bowls  and stair spindles.
Regards
John BHT
Yes it is that perennial question that we all have to ask, and I gues the aim is to try and please all the people, all the time; if that is possible!

My prime criteria in demonstrations is to show something that the majority of club members could attempt without 'special' tools, but should still be interesting. But to answer John's original request, these are some of the club demos I have done for our club.

One I titled 'No exskewses' with only skew chisels used to produce a carvers mallet, a spatula and a candlestick but obviously no bowls! This was to try and get past the 'Oh no, not the skew' that seems prevalent with many turners.

A whole evening looking at finishes, including many 'traditional' and 'home made' options. Believe it or not, that could easily run into a 'second chapter' as we only covered a few finishes and techniques

A 'hands on' evening looking at processing logs into blanks, with a serious look at safety, especially with regard to using chain saws and the importance of proper training and PPE. But also using froes, splitting wedges and hand saws to achieve the same results, albeit a bit slower.

A three piece copy of a stemmed, glass, sugar bowl but done without using a modern chuck, instead a faceplate and jam chucks were used. The primary aim wasn't so much the item, more to prove to members that you don't have to buy all the modern paraphernalia to carry out quite complex projects.

A table lamp, using long hole boring tools. Yes, I admit that's a 'special' tool, but one of the members wanted to use a spindle he had turned as a lamp stem, so that became a club's evening demo.

An evening on grinding and sharpening, using various types of systems and looking at the pros and cons of them. And of course a good look at the various grinds and angles that have become popular over the years.

And next week, for part of the 'hands on' evening, we are looking at scroll chuck use maintenance.

I hope those might stir up some ideas, but I too, will be watching this thread for other suggestions to use.

One last, rather sideways thought, is to ask other turners/clubs what they have tried for 'fun' evenings. We occasionally have a fun practical evening where everyone is invited to turn something as quickly as possible. In the past we have had egg cups and spinning tops, with points for the quickest turned, but also the best looking, and in the case of the spinning tops, the one that 'span' the longest. Does anyone have other suggestions for slightly 'frivolous' turning?

Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
Hello all and thanks for the plethora of replies. I thought this would generate many comments and I think there are still some to come in.
    I try to demonstrate that which has not been seen at the club before, something a bit different. I like Paul Bellamy's reply about frivolous turning :) But you have to be careful there as some members with lesser experience may feel tempted to do stuff that could be classed as dangerous.
      Those of you that have had me demonstrate at your club will know that quite a lot of what I demonstrate is what I call shoestring turning, turning on a very limited budget, especially in the present financial climate.
I like the skew night, we have done that at the club is a very good way of showing off this versatile tool.
      Brian your take on the pot pourri holder demo that i did at Bristol is exactly what most professional turners want to see. Usually you sit there and we demo, we get a vote of thanks and get paid(that's how we earn a living)so it is always nice to see that someone has thought about having a go or in your case did have a go, and very well if I remember correctly.
       So my next question is, what is it that sets off the spark? when you see a demonstration, not necessarily a professional demo, what is it that makes you want to "have a go and make one?"

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »
3 cornered bowls and pots,still haven`t got around to making one yet,but every time I see one made,my mind boggles how you get a three sided thing out of a four sided block,well six sided really as its a cube,but you get my gist,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world